STAR TREK You Know It-You Love It-Let's Talk About It!

I think as well as Pike and Spock, we’ll have Number One (now named Una), Nurse Chapel, Uhura and Dr. M’benga from TOS.

2 Likes

Karl Urban is just that good.

4 Likes

YES! When they made the decision to just reboot the original cast, they were inviting comparisons. It’s utterly impossible to watch the reboot without comparing to TOS cast if you watched it at all, and that’s what doesn’t work. I have no qualms with the cast themselves, but they’re just not those people.

…although I’ll agree that McCoy was really good.

2 Likes

Dang it.

Just like with CGI he-man, where I was not expecting much after being sorely dissapointed with Revelation. In this case, being Dissapointed with Picard and didn’t even bother with Discovery…

Prodigy actually FELT like star trek, but from the aliens perspective. Even the ‘non male/female’ life form didn’t bother me, because that actually made SENSE in that case. despite the fact that it clearly had the voice of a british woman :).

All in all, I look forward to sticking with this one, and hope it keeps up the quality. I was not expecting Movie quality CG either.

despite the fact that it clearly had the voice of a british woman :slight_smile:

And yet, the actor playing Zero is male. Angus Imrie - IMDb

Which, to me, suggests darn good casting considering they were looking for someone to play a member of a species that are non-corporeal, and therefore do not have gender, never mind sexual dimorphism—a characteristic the writers gave to the race in 1968! (Zero can’t be “nonbinary” because “nonbinary” is itself a gender identity… and Medusans have neither genders nor gender identities.)

1 Like

Non sequitur: I’m probably the last to realize this, but Simon from Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was both a Romulan in TNG and a Cardassian in DS9.

7 Likes

Are you kidding me!??? I always THOUGHT that kid looked familiar

3 Likes

Okay I personally quite love Voyager — it’s not the best Star Trek series but I really love the characters. HOWEVER this idea?

Sooooo brilliant. That kind of high-stakes story arc would’ve made the show so much better. Cuz of all the series, Voyager was best suited for a long term narrative simply because of the premise. The writers didn’t take true advantage of it. And an idea like the above would’ve made the show truly compelling

4 Likes

really? damn. thought for sure the VA was female. as you say, darn good casting.

Hey, good point! Hadn’t thought about it but no humans. Seems like Starfleet would eventually have a ship like that- Andorians with a Vulcan or two and some Risans or something.

2 Likes

Voyager’s failure to take advantage of its premise and of previously established canon is why it remains at the bottom of my Star Trek series ranking. It still could have been an epic journey filled with dozens of first-contact scenarios, but the conditions under which they took place would have steadily changed. Voyager might have increasingly needed to resort to subterfuge to find the resources it needed as the ship steadily became the most advanced piece of technology in whatever sector it was occupying. The Delta Flyer could have steadily transmogrified to appear less capable and innocous in order to go places Voyager could no longer be risked. And the entire final season would have concerned itself with the final push through the Borg wavefront to reach the Federation somehow without resorting to a timey-wimey deus ex machina.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :roll_eyes:

Despite it being aimed at a younger audience, I am watching to see if Star Trek: Prodigy will correct some Voyager’s most egregrious missteps given that it starts with a similar premise (advanced starship transported far, far away from its homeport, tries to go home …somewhere). It’s already fixed one — the U.S.S. Protostar demonstrated the capability to produce a seemingly unlimited supply of shuttlecraft and other equipment. The ship is apparantly named for the newfangled power plant and experimental interstellar drive it’s packing. Energy for the replicators should not be any kind of issue here, though I’m betting the writers will try think of something eventually.

2 Likes

I thought they did? wasn’t an all vulcan crew ship mentioned in tng once?

1 Like

It was the USS Intrepid from the ToS episode The Immunity Syndrome

3 Likes

Aside from the fact the ship never seemed to have technical issues, I really wanted to see how they tried to get a Federation crew and a Maquis crew to work together and trust each other. Then you throw in Tom Paris who wasn’t trusted by either group and it was a recipe for some great character development. Instead, everyone plays nice after two episodes and everything with the Marquis and Paris is just dropped.

I still think the whole Jeri Ryan Seven-Of-Nine thing was a cop-out. They had internal conflict already, and they chose to do nothing with it. (and the less said about Nelix and Kess the better :roll_eyes:)

3 Likes

Yes, to all of this.

1 Like

Are you forgetting when a cheese Neelix brought on board gave the “bio-neural gel packs” a cold? I swear, those things were deliberately created in the Voyager writers’ bible to give them a convenient system that could “be malfunctioned” instead of the transporter or the holodeck. And they were yet another supposedly irreplacable item that couldn’t be replicated with a limited number of spares aboard a ship supposedly designed for long-term deep-space exploration.

Yes, to all of that!

2 Likes

Lifelong Star Trek fan and have rewatched most of the shows multiple times. In fact, I’m rewatching each show in stardate chronological order and podcasting about it with my brother (Trek in Time). Picard and Next Gen are my favorite by far, but I’ve also been enjoying some of the more recent shows like Discovery.

2 Likes

Actually, thinking about it now…It would have been super cool to see Janeway become a force to be reckoned with as she crossed the Delta Quadrant. The Delta Flyer could’ve become a satellite ship always guarding Voyager, or a scout running point and sending information back to the flagship. The crew could have steadily added other ships to their fleet as they came across other peoples who were fleeing the Borg or who had been displaced. We could’ve ended up with Kathryn Janeway as the commodore directing a ragtag collection of ships through the quadrant. Imagine the dynamic that would’ve added to the conflict between her commitment to the Prime Directive , her desire to help the people who begged for the assistance and protection of a Starfleet ship, and her own need to get her crew home safely. It would had added far more variety to the story and given more depth to the whole series

6 Likes

Yes, yes, yes to all of that! And the worst thing about it is, Ronald Moore was already involved! If the powers-that-be had decided to pay more attention to his issues with the first season of Voyager he might not have left to do the reboot of Battlestar Galactica and incorporated precisely the elements you’ve described into Voyager instead. Of course, people would forever after have been comparing Voyager to Battlestar Galactica

Now that you have me thinking about it, I have to wonder if Moore wasn’t thinking exactly the same thing during the time he spent working on Voyager, raised the idea, and the powers-that-be shot him down. Does anyone know if he’s ever gone into that level of detail describing why he left the show?

4 Likes

I don’t know what other thread to talk about this in but anyone else notice in the Doctor Mordrid trailer that JEFFREY COMBS plays the titular character? As in, the actor who plays Weyoun in DS9/Shran in Enterprise?? Hahaha I just always get excited when I see him

4 Likes