STAR TREK You Know It-You Love It-Let's Talk About It!

There’s nothing wrong with enjoying it, but I was very disappointed that they decided to recast the original cast instead of just making more Star Trek and I really didn’t enjoy the movies.

Theoretically, yes, but alas. Now, I will admit that I didn’t watch any of them in their entirety, but the bits I saw and the synopses I read have not made me interested. I had no interest in a deconstruction of Picard. I’ve heard that season 3 does what people were hoping for initially, but that’s not for me. Lower Decks just doesn’t appeal to me at all. What I’ve seen of it doesn’t seem like Star Trek. It seems like something that is trying to be Star Trek…sort of.

…and I’ve never heard of Prodigy. What is that?

It’s a CG animated Star Trek show for kids which was originally on Paramount+ but is now on Netflix. And it’s surprisingly good. It’s not great in the beginning, but by episode 4 or 5 it really gets going. There’s a Kobiyashi Maru episode that’s really incredible, especially because of the sound editing, but I won’t go further than that.

All of the main characters in it are non-human, which is cool. The only “human” character is a hologram Janeway that helps them out because they stole the ship and don’t really understand how it works and also start out outside Federation space, so they don’t know much about the Federation or who is in it. It works as a great intro to Star Trek concepts.

I was skeptical at first, but I’m really enjoying it now that I’m half-way through the first season.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s surprisingly good for a children to YA show. It actually has some season-long story arcs and character development. And the Protostar itself I find neat, kind of what you might get if you crossed the Delta Flyer with the Enterprise-E. Only slightly bigger than a runabout, but one heck of lot faster.

2 Likes

Fun video-

1 Like

2 Likes

That doesn’t quite work for me since we know via SNW what a baby Gorn looks like.

2 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes

Red shirts don’t always die like the tradition says. Plus, it definitely only works with TOS on TV because the main crew wore red in the movies and then in TNG, the main crew also wore red. And of course, that changes the statistics dramatically.

(Source: Red Shirts Always Die? | The Trek BBS)

5 Likes

I seem to remember that’s the reason why at least Next Gen changed the command color. They wanted to get away from the red shirts always die trope.

2 Likes

1 Like

It didn’t stop them killing lots of crewpeople wearing read though.

I think there was also some consideration about actors’ skin tones. Like, Patrick Stewart looked bad in yellow but good in red. But then that got weird, because Data (as Chief Operations Officer and Second Officer) really should’ve been in red at that point, but in the makeup Brent Spiner looked weird in red but good in yellow, so yellow it was for him.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Kirk (and pretty much every other starship captain) knows that there are times you just have to interfere - it’s the right thing to do.

3 Likes

More importantly, Kirk and the other captains generally try talking things out before shooting. Something I always liked about Star Trek.

3 Likes

Good luck with all those spending time with their families tomorrow.

5 Likes

“THE ROMULANS DON’T HAVE TO BECAUSE THE KLINGONS ALREADY DID!”

2 Likes

2 Likes

5 Likes