STAR TREK You Know It-You Love It-Let's Talk About It!

I haven’t watched Discovery either, but I know Captain Pike from the that TOS episode where he’s using one of the Space Mutiny floor buffers as a wheelchair. I didn’t feel like I missed a beat just starting with Strange New Worlds.

Speaking of the new series, the crossover episode Strange New Worlds did with Lower Decks was definitely my least favorite episode. I was surprised at how unlikeable (seemingly on purpose) the Lower Decks characters were written. Is that show actually like that, or, like many other crossovers, was it just a case of neither series being represented terribly well in order to make the crossover happen?

1 Like

Based on only watching the first episode of Lower Decks, I think they made them far more likeable for the crossover episode. They’re inherently cartoony characters. I thought the crossover episode was good though, and it made me want to go back and give Lower Decks another shot. My wife was put off by the first episode enough that I’ll have to do it on my own some time.

That TOS episode you’re referring to is using a lot of clips from the original pilot, which is actually more interesting than the clips shoehorned into a courtroom drama. It also shows how different the show could’ve been if Jeffery Hunter hadn’t turned down returning.

2 Likes

Same here. In fact Discovery is the only Star Trek show I’ve ever stopped watching. The couple of episodes I watched just really rubbed me the wrong way for various reasons.

2 Likes

I didn’t give up on Discovery until the end of season 3. I gave up on DS9 after 2 seasons.

I gave up on Trek altogether after ST: Insurrection.

SNW reignited my love of Trek and I love it triply for that.

2 Likes

You’re right …first couple seasons of DS9 were not so hot! But you left, when the show got good at the end of the 3rd season…with the entry of the Jem’hdar and the Dominion. If you have Paramount+ have a look at seasons 4-7 of DS9…good stuff! Yup! Insurrection is a stinker! I’ve only watched it once for that reason!

Lower Decks is much more sarcastic than the others. Yes, Mariner really is that antagonistic toward authority, and Bomlier is that self-conscious. You do have to get through the first, I’d say three episodes, before it settles and finds itself. But after that, it really takes off. There are a lot of callbacks/easter eggs to the franchise history, particularly Next Gen, which gives it an extra layer of interest.

2 Likes

What I watched of Lower Decks I liked because of the sarcasm. One of these days if I get Paramount+ I’ll watch the ones I haven’t seen.

Kind of strange how The Orville started out that way but turned into a good science fiction show. Season 3 of that show was better than any Star Trek I’ve seen since DS9 or a the handful of episodes in the last season of Enterprise.

1 Like

Someone’s playing coy…

But, more importantly, they are also Starfleet officers with strong moral compasses, who shape up and save the day in the end.

That’s one of the things I like about the show. It shows that not all officers are perfect. Not all missions are as exciting as the ones that ships named Enterprise have gone on. But the people on those ships still have a strong moral code that they follow.

Also, Agimus and Peanut Hamper.

3 Likes

It remains to be seen if Boimler’s transporter clone retains the original’s strong moral compass.

1 Like

4 Likes

Would Buy.

1 Like

8 Likes

5 Likes

We went to a place called Ollie’s, which is sort of like what Big Lots used to be like before they standardized everything in their stores. This may be the worst bit of Star Trek licensing I’ve ever seen. I did not think it was worth the $10.

2 Likes

Somebody needs to append this:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Morn in East L.A.

Morn in East L.A.

4 Likes