STAR TREK You Know It-You Love It-Let's Talk About It!

4 Likes

“Damn it Jim! I’m a doctor, not a choreographer, but by god, you’ve got something!”

2 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

6 Likes

“Whoa, this is going to spin me off for the whole afternoon.” --the space cadet flower child ghost in CBSs’ Ghosts, reacting to a similar question. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Has anyone seen both the U.S. and the British version of that show? I’ve only seen the British version and it’s really good (made by the same crowd that did Horrible Histories and Yonderland, plus Kiell Smith-Bynoe) so I’m a bit reluctant to watch the U.S. version. I’d like to know how they compare.

Ghosts: I saw the first two seasons + Christmas special (13 episodes) of the British version first (on “HBO max” then) before the US one began. Some of the first US scripts were almost identical (like many US remakes of foreign TV shows often do). But the ghosts are mostly different, being from America’s history, as expected.

I like the cast in both, having seen some from other shows, so I’m enjoying both series. The 2 recent British seasons (2021 & 2022) aren’t available in the US yet, but I look forward to watching them whenever that happens. Paramount+ now has the first two British seasons currently (in addition to all of the US ones of course).

1 Like

You should see if you can find Yonderland. Same people doing a fantasy show, plus puppets. Horrible Histories is fun, but a kids’ show.

1 Like

Does anyone else remember when PBS used to have the original series on really late on Saturday nights like around midnight to 1:00 or so? When I was a teenager I used to stay up late on Saturday nights watching Star Trek and then PBS also used to have this show called star Hustler. When I initially saw this listing and noticed it was on at like 1:30 or 2:00 a.m. I thought it would be adult themed… Imagine my surprise when this guy who kind of looked like Scotty named Jack horkheimer came out and started talking about constellations and so forth. At first I was bummed because it wasn’t what I thought it was going to be but after a while I kind of grew to enjoy it. This was also back in the day when you could turn on what I used to call the squiggle channel and try and get glimpses of whatever shows they were showing on the spice channel at the wee hours of night.

2 Likes

I think it depends on your local PBS station. Mine growing up - WOSU 34 in Columbus, OH - showed a Doctor Who serial (usually 4 episodes edited into one) on Saturday nights at 10pm and then played the national anthem and went off air until Sunday morning.

2 Likes

One of the local PBS stations here in Denver did a Doctor Who serial every Saturday night. So, a four-episode story all in one go. Weirdly, it was always late Pertwee through the first season of McCoy. (and this was the mid-90s by this point, so everything was done and dusted) It was years before I saw the stories with Ace. LOL!

One of the local independent stations (remember those) would have a sci-fi night on Fridays, that aired Trek and Battlestar Galactica.

6 Likes

I remember Star Hustler, but it was rare that I caught his show. I did like it when I saw it. “Keep…looking…up.” RIP, cool planetarium dude. :slight_smile:

Saturday midnights was when one of our main channels would play Monty Python’s Flying Circus, for however long (or spicy) each episode was. It was my main reason to stay up late.

It was an indie channel that ran Star Trek reruns (TOS) in the early evenings for a while. I remember thinking that during supper was an odd time slot. They also ran Bennie Hill at “bedtime” (10 pm?) on weeknights. Public pressure made them switch to Dave Allen during the summers because apparently many school kids were watching it and some parents objected.

4 Likes
2 Likes

When I was in college it was general wisdom that you needed to get to the cafeteria before 5 pm to beat the rush because that was when Star Trek ended.

6 Likes

I remember Jack Horkheimer doing that little PBS sign off show, it was usually after I stayed up to watch Dr Who, Blake’s 7 or Red Dwarf.

None of the PBS stations I ever watched aired Star Trek.

4 Likes

Star Trek: Starfleet Academy gets curiouser and curiouser. Holly Hunter was cast as the academy chancellor, and now Paul Giamatti has been cast as the season one central villain in a recurring role. He can be great at scenery chewing when the role calls for it!

3 Likes

Still not looking forward much to a Starfleet Academy show, but the lack of mentioning of Mary Wiseman at least makes me a little more reassured that this show won’t take place 800 years after the TNG era like Discovery ended up doing.

It’s definitely set in the 32nd century, post Discovery.

1 Like

Well that sucks.