STAR TREK You Know It-You Love It-Let's Talk About It!

Oh, yeah — Rev Bem. I’d forgotten about that. Of course, I’ve pretty much forgotten Andromeda, too.

2 Likes

That was a show I was surprised I really enjoyed. It kind of lost its footing in the last season, but I do appreciate that they were genuinely trying to make sure they had an end since they knew it was their last season.

1 Like

Of interest to fans of TMP

3 Likes

Hmm… who has ships that can give Starfleet’s a run for their money and fire what look like fireballs (with “…fantastic power!”), seems to have a penchant for sneak attacks, and prefers audio-only communications? Then there are the rumors that this episode is a reimagining of one from the first season of TOS. And finally, there’s this blink-and-you’ll-miss-it shot…

Based on what I’ve read on IMDB for this episode, I also have the distinct impression that one of the Starfleet ships onscreen is the U.S.S. Farragut… which will mean something to long-time Trek fans.

3 Likes

Some thoughts on SNW as we head into the final episode of Season 1:

Every captain has a superpower - Kirk’s is momentum, Picard’s is diplomacy and Pike’s is empathy.

One thing I really LOVE about Pike is the depth of trust he has for his officers. He listens to them and he does not ARGUE. If La’an says the shields need to be up, he puts the shields up. It’s so unusual for a Starfleet captain and it is so RIGHT.

There’s a Star Trek novel called ‘Vulcan’s Glory’ by DC Fontana that first reveals that Number One is Illyrian and also introduces a young cadet Montgomery Scott. There’s been a lot of speculation that Hemmer’s departure is a means of creating an opening for introducing Scotty onto the Enterprise. I guess we’ll see.

A bit concerned from the above trailer that we’re going into battle without an engineer or security officer. I wonder how they’re going to deal with that.

I love how this show has leaned into the traditional Trek tropes while at the same time giving us those character moments that mean so much. I love this crew, I’m invested in what happens to them.

I’m really sorry I complained about shows that try to make me sad about characters I don’t know. Too many feels the last couple of episodes. I mean, I love it, but I almost feel like I jinxed Hemmer. Be careful what you wish for.

2 Likes

Thoughts on the Gorn:

What we know about them is really contradictory:

They’re super intelligent, enough to have interstellar travel, but hunt like animals and are easily outwitted

They fight each other to become the alpha, but are cooperative enough to have achieved, again, interstellar travel

They’ve ‘evolved’ enough that neither their bodies or their eggs are visible on Federation scanners.

They can fly a starship but can’t calculate that a brown dwarf will be crushed it if they fly too far in.

And I keep thinking - we’ve been led to believe that they’re all about abducting people to use for breeding, but what if what they’re really after is the starships and the technology found there?

And I’ve come to think that the Gorn are not really the Big Bad, but are just the shock troops for a more shadowy, unknown Big Bad.

2 Likes

1 Like

ctdDyCm

2 Likes

While we all recover from last week’s episode, here’s some fun related to the prior week.

4 Likes

That is freaking amazing. I’m pretty sure Anson Mount + cape = OTP. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

A bit more fun, behind the scenes stuff.

1 Like

So a couple of notes about last week’s episode:

Bruce Horak knew going in that Hemmer would die at the end of Season 1

The Gorn were not CGI, they were puppets! So I now have another favorite puppet show.

1 Like

Was there any mention of whether he gets to come back next season without makeup as a different character? DIS has pulled that little trick at least once…

Saw that in another article, but it mentioned that there was still quite a bit of CGI to them, including to the puppets themselves.

1 Like

Not that I’ve seen, but that would be kinda cool.

2 Likes

(And @RRRob)

The last paragraph of this article reveals something:

3 Likes

Now I’m really impressed by that Spock to Hemmer carrot toss back in episode 2! I did not know that Horak was legally blind.

2 Likes

Yep yep! And were specifically looking for a VI/blind actor! I didn’t know either until I saw Bruce Horak on the red carpet with a sight cane.

2 Likes

Now, let’s put Bruce Horak and Jeffrey Combs in voiceover booths and do a blind… er… audio-only voice comparison. I think Horak could give Combs a run for his money; they both have that low, sort of “smokey” voice that can so easily flip from comforting to insanely menacing and back again.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Five things about SNW S01E10:

1. Unintended consequences could be a bitch.
  1. The trend of Mount getting the best lines continues! “You know, I don’t like her.”
  2. There is a nod to J.J. Abrams’ “Kelvin Timeline” towards the end — but only a nod, and an appropriate one. Listen closely, or you’ll miss it.
  3. I never would have bet on SNW recycling the cliffhanger ending of LD season 2! But I seriously doubt that the events following will play out the same way.
  4. James T. Kirk will be James T. Kirk.

1 Like