STAR TREK You Know It-You Love It-Let's Talk About It!

Am I the only one who can’t really get into Lower Decks?

2 Likes

I like it well enough, though it’s not a viewing priority, but I can totally see why people can’t get into it. My housemate, who likes Trek, does NOT like Lower Decks and always asks to watch something else. They find the humor sophomoric and doesn’t get all the references / call backs because they are a casual fan at best.

Different strokes for different folks!

2 Likes

I can see the humor in Lower Decks being kind of stupid if you don’t get all the references and call backs. It does seem to be made for those of us that have all the episodes made between 1966 to 2005 memorized.

1 Like

See, I am that guy, but LD still doesn’t do it for me. I think maybe I just take Trek too seriously.

3 Likes

I take pre-2005 Trek seriously enough to never watch any of the kelvin timeline stuff, what they did to Vulcan was an unforgivable sin to me. But a cartoon that is basically non-stop riffs and callbacks I have no problem with. I guess it fits my sarcastic nature quite well.

6 Likes

I found it absolutely hilarious that it was Lower Decks of all the Trek shows to date that finally broached the questions of whether or not Starfleet was a military organization, and why its uniforms kept changing. It didn’t answer the questions to anyone’s satisfaction (in the show, no less!), but it at least gave “canonical” nods to them.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched it, except for brief clips, but I have no real desire to, either. If I ever get around to watching any of the new stuff, the only one I can see myself bothering with is SNW. What I’ve seen of the other ones puts me off.

2 Likes

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Professor Moriarty, I presume? It’s been quite a while!

And Brent Spiner did say that he was done playing… Data

1 Like

Y’know, I should finally get around to watching Picard season 2…

2 Likes

Was watching ye olde TNG yesterday and heard a familiar voice. My favorite character from Killer Fish was on an episode! :sweat_smile:

“I should have stayed a 90 lb weakling!”
-Curse this final form!-

2 Likes

While the first two seasons aired, I too, was like, “nah”. The animation itself made me think of Family Guy which I don’t find entertaining.
But then my Ops Manager from work who is also a die-hard Trekkie finally began watching it and convinced me to watch it because he thought I related to the main character.
He was right. Mariner is my spirit animal.
It’s as someone else here said, it’s a riff of our ‘favorite’ bad TNG and TOS episodes and it makes me laugh. When they went to DS9 I nearly cried! But yeah, I can understand why serious peeps can’t get into it. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Y’know, for not being a “regular” on Picard, Brent Spiner’s been quite busy on the show. He’s now played, what, four different characters in its three seasons?

3 Likes

4 Likes

I hope he remembered where he parked.

5 Likes

Nah, too much LDS…

5 Likes

I’ll have you know that I have never gone swimming with whales. :smiley:

3 Likes

I had no problem with sisko. and I doubt any real trek fan did either. he was the perfect captain to replace picard. Highly Emotional, and at the same time, Highly Sensitive. Where as Picard was simply ‘Mr.Grumpy’ for 98% of the run. Sisko punching Q in the face is the perfect example of this. If he didn’t win you over then, DS9 wasn’t going to win you over no matter who the captain was.

2 Likes

this movie was never going to happen. Kurtzman is even throwing out a 7 of 9 series now. again, also never going to happen.

And, despite the MAJOR over use of Friggen lens flare, the first JJ Trek was an almost perfect reboot. majorley went off track in 2, tried to get back on track in 3, but didn’t quite get there.

1 Like