Start your Halloween music playlist…

NSFW, probably

3 Likes

Most of these aren’t traditional selections. [shrug] I gotta’ be me.

“Death Came Knockin’” - Ruthie Foster
“Death Letter” - Cassandra Wilson
“Devil’s Roof” - Throwing Muses
“Ghost Of Yesterday” - Billie Holiday
“Halloween Spooks” - Lambert, Hendricks, & Ross
“Monsters Of The Id” - Mose Allison
“My Coffin” - Quasi
“One Kind Favor (See That My Grave Is Kept Clean)” - John Hammond, Jr.
“Sacrificial Bonfire” - XTC

I’ll add more later as I think of them.

2 Likes

It’s almost tiiiiiime. . .watch the magic pumpkin. . .watch. . .

7 Likes

Halloween-III

2 Likes

You know, it’s been about ten or fifteen years since I played this tune and this style of music, but since I already got out of my system my usual Halloween stuff (spooky minor-key Bach, the ear-stretching Mozart, and some usual favorites), I do like this tune.

I don’t play it in a church setting or with any special meaning: it’s just a good jam to eff around with on the FrankenOrgan, pretty much.

Not disrespected intended to people who do use this as a sacrament: I also observe mass on All Saints’ Day the 1 Nov, but, like I said elsewhere, it’s more a hobby.

I think this one is more a demonstration than an actual performance, but I’d question anybody who couldn’t copy this just by seeing and hearing off this recording. Needs a little dexterity and awareness of what key centers one’s playing in, but not much more.

I have no clue what keyboard Mr. Tolbert is using. Looks like a Roland of some sort, but no drawbars, and when you see Tolbert’s LH going to change the speed of the Leslie, I have no idea what he’s hitting, if anything. He could be using a little foot pedal, for all I know.

Anyway, it’s the basic outline of the tune, in a kind of sub-par Hammond organ sampled machine. You can look up and see countless versions of this played if you look under COGIC and “shout music” and so forth. This is just a version I found that seemed inoffensive and vanilla.

I’d put a little more sauce on it, as i’m sure most people would, but I’ll just use this video.

And, it does have resonance with the celebration of the Saints and so forth, so whatever.

/* ETA and while I’m at it, sh**, why the eff not?

Everybody knows the Doctor!

*/

3 Likes

“Don’t forget to watch the big giveaway at 9!”

2 Likes

No MSTie’s playlist should be without this gem:

5 Likes
3 Likes

:joy_cat:

2 Likes

Aiming for the most unexpected Halloween song I could think of, I pulled this one up from deep in the memory banks. Forgot what a good lyricist Tony Kushner is:

2 Likes

Holy hell that was creepy, loved it. I didn’t know Elfman had a new album, I need to check that out.

2 Likes

Starting off October with 'Silent Hill 4", so enjoy the themesong:

2 Likes

Muscogee poet and musician Joy Harjo, providing the antithesis of what most of us would consider a traditional ghost story. Most aren’t really about the possibility of forgiveness. So I guess I’m stretching the premise again. The actual Day of the Dead would be the more appropriate posting time. But I have a brain like a sieve and I’d probably forget.

“…At the door of his mother’s house
A bag of dreams in his hands, dripping with blood
His mother’s tears make a river of red stars
The whole village mourns with her…”

3 Likes

Oh, the irony of sharing this old-timey gem as I rush off to work. :woozy_face:

Miss these women a lot.

4 Likes

Go on and throw me across the theater, Man! Chris’ll cut ya’, Maan! Chris is a blade man, Maaaan!!! :smiley:

1 Like

Serving suggestion - play LOUD

3 Likes

@Yorkshire_Paul

so many dub albums promised so much glory but gave us only dope drums, bass and echo. i have at least one track from this record that i piled more spookiness onto

1 Like

2 Likes
3 Likes

(please take no issue with mixing devils with satan. ta)

3 Likes