Start your Halloween music playlist…

Throwing Muses, as well as Hersh’s solo projects, have had their share of songs with demonic overtones. I guess it’s more about the idea of being stranded alone with one’s personal demons, but still. She’s also done a whole disc of murder ballads, which is great. But for today, I’m going for this one, which sounds like an amped-up throwback to the coffee house Smithsonian/Folkways stuff my parents played for us when we were kids.

3 Likes

@CLANG_Potroast
:scream_cat::facepunch:
listened to this so often when it was released in mid 90s. Your Ghost is a great opener too.
in spite of its moodiness it was played in-store everyday, along with Whiskey for the Holy Ghost by Mark Lanegan, which bothered the manager but we were following the rules playing new promo releases.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Not spooky or anything but evokes the likes of The Munsters and other quirky 60s schlock

3 Likes

How about a Ghosts N Goblins cover mariachi-style for your playlist?

5 Likes

Alexandra Petri of The Washington Post posted her Top 50 Halloween songs. While the article itself is behind a paywall, the playlist is not (though if you don’t have Spotify Premium, I assume the listening experience is as good), so I’ll post that here:

1 Like

“I’ve been digging this hole for an hour or two…”

2 Likes

I’ll have 'is chips then.

3 Likes

Eighties-tastic! :mushroom: :cloud:

3 Likes

2 Likes

A couple of tunes which I have not yet seen mentioned:

And I’m not sure if any one has mentioned this dance classic yet:

2 Likes

Like that Twin Peaks composer guy, if I were into any form of things Lynchian.

“Somewhere on that mountain
He’s buried with a map
A map to the fountain of youth…”

2 Likes

And since Halloween is the anniversary of Orson Welles’ War of the Worlds radio broadcast, I suppose Martian songs are also appropriate for the occasion.

3 Likes

Oh. My. Goodness! I’ve never heard of Ice Nine Kills. Thank you for introducing me to my new favorite band! This is Halloween ear candy I’ve been needing! Deeeee-licoius! :black_heart: :black_heart: :black_heart:

2 Likes

@BattyLydia you are very welcome! I’ve been loving their stuff for a while now and can’t wait to see a new video!

2 Likes
1 Like

The choice of playlist depends on the mood of the moment.
Also, these are playlists generated by other people, because, somehow, somewhere, I lost my own compilation of favorites.

Dr. Demento Halloween

Haunted. The Halloween Songs of They Might Be Giants

Alice Cooper’s Spotify Halloween Playlist

Disney Halloween

Halloween Party

Classical Halloween

Fright Fest

Halloween Monster Jams

Spooky Sh*t and Haunting Hymns

And, for something different, Scary Stories.

2 Likes

13 hours left and then spoops!

4 Likes

“Feeling as though I was in a cell
Somewhere in Hell
My story I begin to tell…”

I wonder how many more of my decades-spanning favorites I can dump into this thread before the season’s over or someone reports me. :smiley:

(When I find out which two YT dinks downvoted this I’m gonna’ egg their cars, big-time.)

2 Likes

Back with another song ripped from Wasteland 3 - the car radio will rando-broadcast a cover of the Green Acres themesong (of all things) that feels super appropriate here in rainy, dreary PA

Edit; also, the vocals sound like That Handsome Devil

2 Likes