Strange Ways To Die in Entertainment

Strange ways to die in entertainment?

Sign with the William Morris Agency!

Rimshot GIFs | Tenor

7 Likes

Being attacked by the Crimson Permanent Assurance!

7 Likes

Remarkable film, really.

Am I the only one who laughs like a hyena during these movies? I mean, I know I’m the only one in the theater laughing throughout them. To me, they’re like Rube Goldberg meets Edward Gorey or Charles Addams.

Classic.

I mentioned this one affected me as a child. (Actually, not this one so much as the one where Seymour gets eaten.)

Arnold (1973), a couple gets crushed in the shower. Which is absolutely preposterous from a standpoint of plumbing and tiling, to say nothing that if they just stopped what they were doing kaff and fell out of the door to the side.

And there’s another movie of the same vintage where someone is taking a shower and it’s, like, acid, peeling her skin off. (Similar to an effect used in 1981’s Poltergeist.) I sorta thought that was Arnold, too, but it’s actually more graphic than anything in Arnold. (Though I do think it was still PG.)

2 Likes

I was 9 when Who Framed Roger Rabbit was released and though I was scared by the Dip, I think may be even more disturbed now than then, especially the shoe (I have to look away or fast-forward through that). Yiii.

3 Likes

@lihatt I posted that scene above.

1 Like

Adolf Hitler apparently had a Strange Death.

Personally, I always thought Adolf Hitler deserved more credit for ridding the world of Adolf Hitler.

3 Likes

That’s what I was referring to. I guess I didn’t hit Reply in the right place, oop.

2 Likes

@lihatt This occurs to me ALL THE TIME! I’ll click reply and post and I’ll have to tag that person anyway. No worries.

1 Like

Ridiculously so.

The only right way for the movie to end is with THAT song over the end credits, a gleefully demented closing note for a symphony of chaos.

3 Likes

As Maximum Overdrive trailers go, I’m all onboard for Stephen King clearly going out of his gourd and declaring that he’s “GONNA SCARE THE HELL OUTTA YOU.”

3 Likes

“I’m so high off my gourd I think my writing skills translate to being able to direct a movie!”

5 Likes

Since regaining his gourd he has been quite embarrassed about it.

6 Likes

I seemed to recall a scene like that with acid and a bathtub. Looking it up, it appears that was Slaughter High from 1986. Again, seems like it could have been prevented by getting out of the tub.

2 Likes

Ha! Yes, I know the exact scene.

I realized it WAS Arnold but not a shower. It’s a scene where a lady (Shani Wallis, Oliver!) applies cold cream and it melts her face off.

Again, seems like you could, y’know, just stop applying it but I don’t know how ladies operate.

2 Likes

Why all of a sudden am I thinking Emil from Robocop (1987).

3 Likes

Poor Emil. Swerving into Toxic Waste leads to terrible consequences.

2 Likes

Clarence Boddicker is stabbed in the neck by an input port. Courtesy of Robocop.

3 Likes

The death of Alex Murphy is strange due to its epic quality and drawn out story. The abuse this man endures is unnatural and a testament to the movies. It’s burned into my consciousness as a departure of Shakespearean proportions.

3 Likes

Mr. Kinney’s death by ED-209 explodes on you literally. Wham Bam Thank You Man. So sudden and so extreme. Quintessential Paul Verhoeven.

2 Likes

The “shunting” scene from 1989’s Society. SFX by Screaming Mad George.

3 Likes