Stumpy from Robot Wars

Is it just me or does he look like a discount Tim Conway?

Discuss here. I know he reminds me of another actor, and I think it’s Tim Conway, but maybe there’s someone else he looks even more like.

14 Likes

I know what you mean. Maybe Dom DeLuise pre-beard?

3 Likes

Actually, we were yelling at the screen the whole time:

“Wait, is that Tim Conway?”
“Too young!”
“It’s Tim Conway’s son!”
“Did Tim Conway have a son?”
“He had seven kids! Or maybe six, the Internet can’t decide!”
“Were any of them in this movie? Were all of them in this movie?”
“Tim Conway Jr. was in Cyclone, Beverly Hills Vamp…but not Robot Wars.”
“Maybe he worked under a pseudonym!”
“Yeah, he probably didn’t want to taint his dad’s Dorf Videos with shady movie appearances.”

5 Likes

I can see it.

Tim Conway with JUST a dash of Don Ameche.

10 Likes

Hey, man, it was the '60s. We don’t judge.

4 Likes

That’s weird to think about, no?

Kinda like Sam Elliott without the mustache.

5 Likes

i didnt scream , but…

3 Likes

I think Drake looks like a totally bro-ed up version of Hampton, which he could/should totally go as for Halloween.
His son could even be Stumpy!
:joy_cat:

2 Likes

Every time I heard that name, I immediately thought of Dumpy from Dinosaurus!.

2 Likes

While I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this before, my natural gut reaction is simply “Why? Why, WHY?”

I recently re-watched that Friends episode where Tom Seleck appears with his mustache shaved off. Just all kinds of wrong. Kinda like rubbing a cat the wrong way.

2 Likes

OH NO NO NO NO NO NO

That ain’t in nature, a mustache-less Magnum.

3 Likes

Svengoolie showed Frogs a few months ago. Seeing Sam Elliott young and without facial hair was jarring.

Also, that’s a good enough excuse to post a GIF of one of the greatest shots in the history of cinema.

04eba6aee47ffdd0aca4d6a7800202b75a0535af1144ec2cce5883b256d41994

6 Likes

I somehow blocked out Sam Elliott from memory there.

But I will say that that last bit of the film at the end after the credits (which I DARE NOT RUIN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES) made me howl with laughter.

:smiley:
That’s so boss, that.

2 Likes

I just looked through the inter-nets, and it seems my memory is extremely faulty. There’s a ton of excellent DD history sans beard.

Even my favorite Dom role had him clean-shaven.

4 Likes

See I hear Stumpy and this is what I see:

1 Like

Stumpy’s idiotic ballcap bill and hat angle had a certain Tim Conwayness to it RE: his recurring part in Carol Burnett Show Mama’s Family sketches.

I wanted to say Stumpy had a certain Dorfness (which would allow for a Stephen Dorff gag as well) but I don’t think he wore idiotic ball caps as the Dorf character.

1 Like