Sub-topics for Artsy Craftsy...?

Agreed!

Are y’all just asking for a sub-topic that is explicitly bot-building focused? Because I can do that. I just want to be clear on what you’re asking for first.

3 Likes

'ello!
We’ve been focusing on bot building in this thread cuz I think most of us replying have that going on, but in general I was thinking about bot building, costumes, ‘and the rest’ for props (and/or set dressing)… so three sub-topics possibly, but I don’t know what would work the best.

That is, a place to discuss the original bits and help others who are trying to source the off the rack/shelf/garage etc pieces that were used for their own. To that, do we have the ability to stick posts at the beginning of threads, if they’re pages of resources or faq or…?

3 Likes

To swing this back around and on-track again, want to summarize my thoughts, see if others jump in to help iron things out before we ask anyone to do work on our behalf. Part of my trouble is that I don’t know how thinly Discourse allows you to slice things, how many threads in threads in threads you can or should have. Examples might be a bit too nested.

Bot/prop/replica building for this show is a bit fraught, given the age of the show, scarcity of materials, and uncertainy in some of the ref and figuring out what the heck we’re looking at.

There have been, and in a few places are, sites and forums that cover various ranges of this… ‘hobby’. Most try to stick to the real deal source materials, others are bit loose around what their intent is. Spirit of is awfully good if you’re cool with it, but my pref would be to set this up for what’s known.

I’m thinking a more central place for only what is solid, part and donor lists, sources (if any, those are dwindling more rapidly), and the occasional agreed upon substitute.
Throw in build guides, trouble-shooting, etc.

Artsy Craftsy

Bot Building
Props
Set Dressing
Costumes
Mega-Gizmos (did Joel ever name the larger pieces?) ie Sets and Models

Par ex:
Artsy Craftsy

-Bot Building

Crow T Robot

Parts and Paint
Build Guides and Mechanisms
Derek - Crow - Build Diary
Trace - Crow - Build Diary

Tom Servo

Parts and Paint
Build Guide and Mechanisms
Joel - Servo - Build Diary

-Costumes

Joel
Rebound Host
Jonah
Emily
Deep 13 Walk-ons
Hexfield Day Players

-Props

Satellite of Love

Invention Exchange - The Electric Bagpipe
Movie Sign - Desk Console 2

Deep 13

The Mads’ Teletype
Invention Exchage - Canine Anti-perspirant

-Set Dressing

Satellite of Love

Movie Sign - Beacon lights and housings
Wall Panel 4 Parts

-Mega-Gizmos

Gizmonics Institute
Gizmonics Launch Platform
Spaghetti Moon Logo
KTMA SoL

etc etc etc…

I would discourage a show-off only kind of post in these, let those continue to live in ‘Show Us Your Bots’ style upstream threads in Artsy-Craftsy. Diaries of completed builds that clarify issues or tricky spots would be cool, so full diaries of past projects or even of specific steps, but I’d get tired of single ‘look at my thing here ain’t it neat’. Well yeah, it’s all neat!

ok rambly and need more eyes and thoughts on this! So please do type if you’ve got an inkling to.

2 Likes

i don’t know what’s up with the crummy formatting above, hopefully it can be followed still…

1 Like

I think those categories would be great.

It maybe a sub that can be tied together initially and as post accumulate for a specific area, another sub could be created later.

So maybe start with something like

Bot Building/Prop Making/Costumes as a sub

That would be more specific than everything being under artsy craftsy . I think it would give everything atleast a home where a specific thread wouldn’t be over run with a post that maybe should have been it’s on thread

Then as more post accumulate for a specific topic like “costumes/cosplay” , it may need to be separated out again

1 Like

I’d go with three subcats instead of just one all inclusive one
Bots
Props & Set Dressing
Costumes

1 Like

Yeah, for sure. I’ve got five above, (again the formatting in Discourse screws things up)
unsure if some could or should be joined. They’re—

Bots (Your plastic pals who are fun to be with)
Costumes (Jumpsuits/coveralls/union alls/helmets, cheesy moustaches, unfortunate hair styles)
Props (Props and Invention Exchanges go here)
Set Dressing (Set pieces, larger details that may or may not have been interacted with, door lights, teletype, screens, bridge table…)
Mega-Gizmos (ie large models like the Institute buildings, launch pad, SoL, etc and probably small or mid like the Widowmaker, Space/Time, Spaghetti Moon)

There’s something I’d like to make clear on my ‘why’ behind this too and possibly asking for the space in this Discourse/server.

I love and I mean love that all of the above is a vibrant and active fandom and hobby… but as we all know, it gets harder and harder with each passing year for folks who, by no fault or design, simply come to this late in the game, and the resources are so scarce and more-so. Heck I’ve known what I’ve been looking for for years and still struggle to get the final pieces for every single thing I’ve wanted to reproduce, many times for me and often for gifts.

I hate that the door looks open right til you walk into the plexi-glass shield. I would love a single location to come in, find out what you’re up against (especially if you’re trying to be as accurate as possible, which again is my focus), but also find a group of folks here who’ve got your back.

3 Likes

ok, gonna bite the bullet and get a professionl in for an estimate…

@Lesley I bow to your knowledge… is this asking for a lot of work and additional upkeep?

I don’t know how Discourse prefers to work with slicing areas more thinly, but just seems to me that a spot to do some high-level mischief-companion-and-stuff-making might be a thought. Also have NO IDEA if what I am thinking is gotten across up above anywhere!

Else we can absolutely create threads in A-C as is.
/D

2 Likes