Suggestions for the Next Digital Surgery

I liked Pumaman’s digital upgrade. If they’re going to do this as a thing then what eps would you all want to see next?

My suggestions…

1. Hercules vs. The Moon Men - a great ep with very grainy/fuzzy film.
  2. The Day the Earth Froze - top 5 movie needing a lot of spit and poilsh.
  3. Mitchell - Would love to see Hi-Def beer and slouching.
  4. Cave Dwellers - classic ep that would benefit from a refresh.

Others?

8 Likes

I’d like to see the black-and-white movies that were given a blue hue changed to their original black-and-white status and enhanced if possible.

Other movies that could use some spit and polish, off the top of my head, are Hercules, Gunslinger and The Painted Hills. ( I didn’t check to see if those are available for streaming, so apologies if they’re not.)

4 Likes

Oh god not Mitchell. Please. I do not want to see Joe Don Baker rolling on Linda Evans in HD.

4 Likes

But picking up a six pack of beer with a foot in HD!!

2 Likes

Yes, especially Lost Continent where they actually gave the movie a green hue when they got to the top of the mountain.

But I’d love to see any of the Russian and/or Russo-Finish movies they did because they’re gorgeous movies. RT did a reriff of Jack Frost which was only okay, but the print they got was absolutely amazing. I can only imagine that the others would be equally gorgeous.

7 Likes

Manos: The Hands of Fate has been digitally restored since 2015, so I guess that can be used… right?

4 Likes

Just because it’s playing on the Twitch channel as I type this… Secret Agent Super Dragon.

7 Likes

So far they’re doing enhancements on the existing MST3K video material, not using a new print.

2 Likes

The Mads (Frank and Trace) riffed the HD version and honestly it was a HUGE improvement.

3 Likes

I second The Painted Hills. It’s an episode I like, and the color seems okay, but it blurry/fuzzy/grainy and I think it would be great to see it more clearly.

3 Likes

If that’s how we’re going, I’d LOVE to see them give Daddy-O that treatment.

The Unearthly would be something to see, too, wouldn’t it?

4 Likes

The movie looked a lot better, but as they said during the riff, the improvements somehow made the movie less riffable.

3 Likes

Just think how much more mellow Riding With Death would be with higher def. :relieved:

I’d also love to see crisper copies of The Magic Sword, Village of the Giants or even Santa Claus.

6 Likes

As soon as Musk’s AI becomes sentient, all movies will be fixed up in one second.

3 Likes

I’d be interested in an enhanced edition of where it all began nationally: The Crawling Eye

(In general: I’d like some sort of event dedicated this one, for the historical angle at the least)

4 Likes

I know this is probably not a popular choice as it doesn’t seem to be a popular episode but the print of Hamlet they have is really dark. So dark you can barely make out their costumes. I get that it sorta fits the story to be so gloomy but it really is a shame we can’t see more of it. I’d especially like to see more of Gertrude’s costume.

5 Likes

See, that’s just the thing, though, isn’t it?

A new treatment of the source material could very well give that episode new life. It would give some additional motivation for settling in with that installment.

Hamlet is not a personal favorite, but I’d be willing to check that out.

6 Likes

The RiffTrax Magic Sword uses a better print and it’s marvelous. I wish there were a way for them to use the old Shadowrama over new/HD prints the way that YouTuber did (before it was all taken down), but it’s just not meant to be.

7 Likes

Do em all!

4 Likes
  1. The Creeping Terror and Monster A Go-Go might be easier (on the eyes) with some better definition and tonal depth.

2. The Magic Voyage of Sinbad. Obviously intended to be a massively sumptuous feast of eye candy (just look at that Indian architecture!)

3. As I said elsewhere, some shorts could benefit: the print of Circus on Ice used was looking a bit frayed.

4. Films that were originally recorded for TV (on tape, with its lower resolution) need more help than just “finding a better print” to upscale to HD. They worked fine back in the day, since they were in the medium they were designed for, but now…

3 Likes