Suggestions for the Next Digital Surgery

I’d be interested in an enhanced edition of where it all began nationally: The Crawling Eye

(In general: I’d like some sort of event dedicated this one, for the historical angle at the least)

4 Likes

I know this is probably not a popular choice as it doesn’t seem to be a popular episode but the print of Hamlet they have is really dark. So dark you can barely make out their costumes. I get that it sorta fits the story to be so gloomy but it really is a shame we can’t see more of it. I’d especially like to see more of Gertrude’s costume.

5 Likes

See, that’s just the thing, though, isn’t it?

A new treatment of the source material could very well give that episode new life. It would give some additional motivation for settling in with that installment.

Hamlet is not a personal favorite, but I’d be willing to check that out.

6 Likes

The RiffTrax Magic Sword uses a better print and it’s marvelous. I wish there were a way for them to use the old Shadowrama over new/HD prints the way that YouTuber did (before it was all taken down), but it’s just not meant to be.

7 Likes

Do em all!

4 Likes
  1. The Creeping Terror and Monster A Go-Go might be easier (on the eyes) with some better definition and tonal depth.

2. The Magic Voyage of Sinbad. Obviously intended to be a massively sumptuous feast of eye candy (just look at that Indian architecture!)

3. As I said elsewhere, some shorts could benefit: the print of Circus on Ice used was looking a bit frayed.

4. Films that were originally recorded for TV (on tape, with its lower resolution) need more help than just “finding a better print” to upscale to HD. They worked fine back in the day, since they were in the medium they were designed for, but now…

3 Likes

As long as it enhances but doesn’t interfere… you have to be careful not to kill the jokes that zero in on the quality of the image. That’s happened to some extent already (Wild Rebels credits being clearer with our newfangled TVs and such). And if you do MAGG, don’t give the guy a face, who doesn’t have a face, because, goodbye riff. (if that’s possible… for example, could you make Slime People easier to see? (Which again would ruin a few riffs)

Magic Sword would be a good candidate, the Russian films, for sure.

Hercules and the Captive Women, the BD release is a lot prettier than what MST had available to them, so now that I’ve had a taste of that, some MST3K style surgery would be welcomed.

4 Likes

I already said in the other thread that this isn’t a big deal to me in the first place either way, but I admit I wouldn’t mind seeing a print of San Francisco International that was a little less brown.

And I know it can look that way…

7 Likes

Yeah, that was absolutely a concern of mine.

I hate to keep going back to this particular well, but nobody here is ever going to confuse me with an advocate for The Castle of Fu Manchu. That being said, a lot of the humor that’s already there would be undermined if one were to give that movie surgical enhancements.

Chief among them is a riff from Servo during the concluding act chaos: “I can’t watch this. I mean, I can’t see this.”

6 Likes

Danger!! Death Ray happened to come up next in my rotation, and boy would this be a great candidate for that treatment. It’s a hilarious episode and the movie looks like it would lend itself well to enhancement.

8 Likes

Thank you! I’ve listened to Joel’s explanation for what they did for Pumaman twice now and STILL had it in my head they’d substituted a new print of the film for the old one?

Was wondering how they’d managed to cut the new print to match the old one so well.

4 Likes

The problem is if they improve the look of a film where they comment on how terrible the film looks, it will ruin some of the jokes. They talk about every frame of Manos looking like someone’s last known photograph. If the film looks good, those jokes don’t make sense.

4 Likes

Having seen the HD version of Manos, I can assure you, it still looks like someone’s last known photograph.

7 Likes

From a purely visual/aesthetic (and audio, if possible) point of view, The Castle of Fu Manchu seems a prime candidate. The rampant racism and misogyny (of the movie, not MST’s treatment thereof) would count against it ever happening though.

I mean, it’s one thing for the riffers not to be able to see what’s a-happening, and that can kinda work in a nod-to-the-fourth-wall fashion, but when we, the viewing audience, cannot see either, it might not be a huge overstatement to suggest that the goings-on are going-on ridiculous.

2 Likes

Same, but yes, the poor cinematography was as much a theme of the original riff as the brides wrestling?

Okay, maybe not the best example, but it was a theme.

3 Likes

[nods thoughtfully]

Go on.

Heh, I had to! :smiley:

But no, I see what you’re getting at. Yeah, that’s a tricky kettle of fish, walking that tightrope between “ruining the joke” and “making the movie literally watchable.”

6 Likes

No they can’t. The print released in 2015 is that of a Manos (1966) work print which is sufficiently not the same it wouldn’t synch with Episode 424 perfectly enough to work.

1 Like

1. Doctor Who, whose classic era serials are generally of a combined length longer than MST3K episodes, has tried this with mixed results:

Even seeing film-recorded stuff for TV in HD can cause issues - there’s an OG Mission: Impossible where the twist in the episode becomes immediately obvious at that spec.

3 Likes

Overall it sounded like what Joel was talking about was taking the old MST prints and applying the digital surgery to the MST print rather than going out, getting digitally enchanced versions of the original movies, and then doing a complete recut. So if that’s the concept then they shouldn’t be limited by anything except the quality of the original MST ep.

1 Like