Summer Food

Passing into Spring, the Summer draws nearer. Summer Food. Hotdogs, Brauts, Hamburgers, Shish Kabobs, Ice Cream. You have a favorite you scarf in the heat? Popcorn, Melon, Corn on the Cob? Any recipes?

2 Likes

:notes: Millions of peaches… :notes:

And apricots. :yum:

1 Like

Ice cream is a year round treat, actually.

However, raspberries and strawberries from our garden are hopefully going to come. The strawberry plants are green which means they didn’t die during the winter, and I’ve pruned the raspberries. Now, it’s just a matter of waiting to see what happens. :slight_smile:

Peaches are much later for us. :smiley:

3 Likes

Fresh tomatoes

Fresh mozzarella

Fresh basil

Balsamic vinegar

This is what I live on in the summer. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

cat eating GIF

8 Likes

3 Likes

Now, you need to explain what those are. Some look very intriguing but I know pretty much nothing about Japanese desserts. For example, they have crepes? I had no idea!

2 Likes

Baked Beans. Bacon. No Bacon. It slides down easy. True it’s available year-round but in the Summer it might as well be pudding.

3 Likes

Giardiniera pasta salad with Colby cheese and juuuuuuust the right amount of bite with hot peppers.

3 Likes

:notes: “Every country has a pancake
Or some flatbread
Something crepe-y…” :notes:

:yum:

5 Likes

Good! Bread is divine. Everyone needs something bread and pancakes!

2 Likes

I was reading about a U.S. dude’s misadventures trying to master Banh cuon (Vietnam) a few months ago. Not until I saw the pic of his successful version (with much help from his Vietnamese girlfriend’s mom) did I realize that I’d had it before. Alas, the restaurant which served it closed its doors several years ago. It does have a hybrid quality: sort of crepe-like and noodle-like at the same time.

2 Likes

TOMATOES

several heirloom pineapple tomatoes

fresh tomatoes, pico de gallo, BLTs, spam, bruschetta, gazpacho, spam, tomato-basil salad, spam, spam, and spam

2 Likes

About the Japanese festival foods:

Ichigo ame, and ichigo daifuku: two sweets made from strawberries
Imagawayaki, and taiyaki: two pasteries that commonly have red bean paste in them, but can also have loads of other fillings (chocolate, cream cheese, custard cream, etc.)
Takoyaki: cooked octopus balls
Watame: literally cotton candies
Agemochi: fried mochi (rice cakes)
Yaki tōmorokoshi: grilled whole corn
Kakigōri: shaved ice with syrup
Ringo ame: candy apple
Dango: dessert made from rice flour
Okonomiyaki: pancake made from wheat flour mixed with different meats, seaweed flakes, bonito flakes, and poured with Japanese mayonnaise
Choco banana: chocolate covered banana
Yakisoba: fried noodles with veggies and meat
Hotate butter yaki: grilled buttered scallops
We’ll just skip the crepes.
Ikayaki: grilled squid
Ramune: Japanese soda
Karumeyaki: Honeycomb toffee

5 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Even though you skipped the crepes, can I ask if it is a European influence or if this is a different kind of crepe than a French style?

2 Likes

It’s a French influence. It’s also a type of crepe named the “gâteau de crêpes”, or vanilla sliced crepe.

3 Likes

We make strawberry and blueberry jams with local berries we pick ourselves and jar it ourselves. It’s gotten to the point that we ship half our haul to friends around the country who want it. :grin: I have also become a master strawberry huller; I’ll wash a gallon of strawberries, set up an assembly line on the coffee table, put on an MST3K episode, and off I go!!

My best friend also makes the most amazing potato salad (it’s a family secret recipe) and we have a red coleslaw that we had at a restaurant, loved it, and emailed the chef for the recipe. He was kind enough to share it with us, but the recipe was for, well, about 200 portions of said slaw. It was interesting paring it down!

3 Likes

Black raspberries (NOT blackberries, which are the scourge of my garden and also fall woefully short to my tastebuds) are my faaaaavorite summer harvest, but alas, they usually ripen during the weeks I’m on vacation…
I also love a good cherry tomato or green bean fresh from the garden :yum:
Summer is also a time for PICNIC FOOD, which is a culinary category of its own, and I think my fellow Midwesterners can appreciate a good ol’ dish-to-pass barbecue feast with scores of both familiar favorites and exciting new shareables. (Someone in my circle makes a fabulous macaroni salad with tuna and celery, and I could live off that stuff.) All those typical fares are the embodiment of summer food to me haha.

4 Likes

Now I’m going to need to look up black raspberries. Never heard of those.

2 Likes

You’re not the first person to say that… I’m guessing they don’t grow as widespread as regular blackberries. My parents bought a house where they already grew on the property so I’m not sure if they’re native in my area or not

1 Like