Synthia's Selects

Pearl’s been trying to bond with Kinga all season.

1 Like

well, Kinga recalls a LOT about Pearl not being the ideal mom figure she should be, and that includes season 11. Maybe Pearl saw a bit too much of Clayton in Kinga. Maybe Pearl will work a bit too hard on that during the marathon, since she tried to bond with Joel

1 Like

Monster A-go-go! A group of monster ladies decide to set up a new nightclub in 1960’s Los Angeles. Will they show the world there’s more to monsters than going on rampages by shaking their thangs? Oh, wait, that’s a totally different movie. This was the bad one.

First off, Mega-Synthia is awesome! It’s great to finally see more of her. I love the way she and Pearl mimic Synthia’s routine, but in totally different ways. Mega-Synthia seems to have a lot of Netflix-era Synthia’s mannerisms, but she’s obviously a lot more unhinged. She must have got the madness genes along with the Forrester hair, and I love it! The tiny mug is a nice touch, too. It’s a bit weird that her mop with googly eyes is named Gary, because that’s why mine’s called. It’s uncanny.

And who would have thought that Crow’s been a dead robot all along? What a twist!

7 Likes

you may (or may not) want to give Bloodlust another look folks. The movie you see now may just not be what you saw a week or so ago… unless it is.

4 Likes

Sandy Frank! Sandy Frank! He’s the source of all our pain! Oof, and Time of the Apes really hurts. I’m not sure if it’s worse than Mighty Jack, but ouch.

Anyway, Synthia’s ok, everyone! I was scared for a minute, but she’s still hosting her weird little talk show. Her guest this week is Grape Ape, who seems to get really upset about it. The “how do I know this isn’t a dream?” sketch on the SoL is short, but I loved how quickly they all started freaking out about it. I have to admit that part of me was hoping for a surprise visit from Professor Bobo, but I suppose that’s a pretty big thing for a Vault Pick.

There’s a really short bit afterwards about how Time of the Apes came to be. As an aside, Cartoon Network’s got a new show starring a lot of its old funny animals, including Grape Ape, called Jellystone. It’s pretty good, and has a fantastic version of Jabberjaw.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I don’t care!

6 Likes

Everyone, please, let’s not show disrespect!

It’s the GREAT Grape Ape.
The_Great_Grape_Ape_Show_card

7 Likes

Wait, is he a great ape who is grape or is this ape a great grape?

3 Likes

It was an OKAY Grape Ape Show, if we want to be honest.

3 Likes

Wait, is there another Grape Ape show? Is this a Real Ghostbusters scenario?

5 Likes

I remember the Great Grape Ape as my brother and I used to say, “The Great Grape Ape is Snape!”

This was back in the 1970s and long before we had a Professor Snape from the Harry Potter series, so it was funnier when it was nonsensical.

And we were ten and eleven at the time. Thus making it even funnier.

5 Likes

I do remember this but of a song about Jonah.

What a sight to see him jogging, block after block!
Things begin to shake and quake and rattle and rock!
THE BIG, BIG, BIG, BIG GORILILILILILILILA!!!

3 Likes

There’s a cartoon in the microscope! That’s right, it’s Night of the Blood Beast, and Steve, Steve, and Steve are offering you savings up to 50% on blood beasts during our Black Friday sale! Also, we’re having a special on heavenly phones, for some reason.

Pearl “welcomes” us to her takeover of her clone’s show, threatening us directly as test subjects. That’s pretty cool. The Servo-Frasier comparison’s pretty good, but I think the “Daphne Moon 13” caption really does it for me. The sketch with Emily as Jonah is probably my favorite part of this one, with her floating somewhere inside Jonah’s costume. Jonah appearing at the end playing Emily was a nice touch. It must have been a lot of fun filming that bit.

“Good” night everybody! With Turkey Day coming up and two more Vault Picks to go, I’ve still got a lot of MST3K to get through before the end of the month.

5 Likes

Given what had gone before you just knew this part was coming. A delightful mix of anticipation and dread.

6 Likes

Jonah looked like he belonged in the Village Of The Giants when he came out standing on the apple crates we know are behind the desk for Emily.

7 Likes

Tonights episode: Meatloaf! I mean, Crabcakes! Uh, Spitball! No, Bloodlust!

I always forget how pronounced Mother!Pearl’s moustache was in this one. Yikes! Luckily Synthia and Mega-Synthia missed those genes.

I liked GPC’s rambling about hobbies in this one, especially her practical advice on canning your own worms. In this economy you’ve got to be smart about these things. Old GPC was great, but she’s got so much more personality since the reboot. Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice on the SoL, simulations in simulations! While Crow’s theory on the shape of the universe appeals to me, I prefer the pretzel-shaped one, if only because it’s fun watching the physicists work out the math.

I did it!

Oops.

4 Likes

I think it would be funny if she addressed her past in some of these things, like in the Special Events… for example with Pumaman, she could have reminisced about Roger Whitaker, or just made a comment about him, things like that.

1 Like

The new Mega Synthia segments are terrific!

I have to say that Jonah looks terrible in these … that is, not as bad as the rest of us would look under the best of circumstances, but I think maybe he’s doing these without professional makeup and lighting, like at home or something?

2 Likes

Maybe trapped in space?

3 Likes

What a busy month! I’ve finally got to my favorite of this batch, Village of the Giants. It’s just stupid, but fun. I don’t have a thing for giant women! It’s got a kid genius apparently mixing chemicals at random to see what happens. I’m pretty sure he should be on some watch lists. Wait a minute, did they ever do anything about the giant cat? Should we be worried about that? That seems like it could be a problem. Anyway, Mike as Torgo is always a treat.

Mega-Synthia is a delight. She seems a bit more focused this time around, but is clearly still learning about the world. The credits gags are hilarious and contrast nicely against Pearl’s. I don’t have a thing for giant women! I loved watching her and Jonah bond over being tall, and her wondering if this movie is what happened to them. Crow and Servo getting Emily to sign a contract to play the Game show their impish steak is still intact. I can still see them getting bored and forgetting about it after five minutes, though.

So Joel and Mike both did a Tommy Kirk movie. Will our new hosts ever have the pleasure?

Ending slogan!

4 Likes

Who, fun fact, is Ron Howard of all people.

6 Likes