Synthia's Selects

Does anyone know who the talking head was in that clip, or if it’s anywhere else online? He was really funny.

1 Like

DVD #22 has this attribution: Introduction by August Ragone (author of Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters)

Also, Ragone has a blog entry with a write-up of this and several other commentaries he recorded for Shout! Factory’s MST3K DVDs.

4 Likes

Best part of November’s Selects was realizing they’d been waiting MONTHS for the punchline of the Bonehead Mug to land.

8 Likes

Ooh, new month, new Vault Picks!

The theme seems to be Winter / Wonderlands, so it’s a mix of snowy stuff and weird places.

We have: Avalanche (the first Netflix episode to make the list?), Jack Frost, The Day the Earth Froze, Alien from LA, Lost Continent, and Swamp Diamonds (swamps are wonderlands, I guess?).

With all of these, livestreams of all the Xmas episodes, and the Christmas Dragon, plus all of the normal December madness, this is going to be a very full month.

5 Likes

@ivan - looks like the vault pick for Swamp Diamonds freezes up at the 18:19 mark

1 Like

I know the resort from Avalanche quite well.

Dined there several times.

6 Likes

Any explanation for why they keep cheerleaders in the kitchen? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Dunno, never saw the kitchen, but we must have gone on the cheerleaders day off.:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Avalanche AND we get The Christmas that Almost Wasn’t as a livestream. I wonder if we’ve hit the end of some sort of exclusivity period on Netflix episodes.

7 Likes

Oh, I hope so! Dickweeds.

7 Likes

Should be fixed now – thanks for the heads up!

8 Likes

I figured it was just more “well, these episodes we could probably still get away with selling.” Since, you know, they aren’t plastered over YouTube.

Rebecca’s emoting during the Avalanche intro makes me question if I have ever really felt feelings before.

6 Likes

Avalanche!

I wasn’t a big fan of this one when I first saw it, but it’s grown on me over time. The movie is the real disaster in this disaster movie. It’s so ridiculous it could almost be a parody of disaster movies, but we all know it’s not clever enough for that. Let’s face it, it should have been called The Cursed Ski Resort or Mountain of Bad Luck.

Wait, Kinga?! Stealing poor, put-upon Synthia’s show! Poor, sweet clone. You have to wonder how long she’ll put up with that before her Forrester genes kick in, and will Mega-Synthia get there first? At least it ends with her getting her show back! Rebecca’s expressions during all this were fantastic.

Jonah’s bots pining for snow, even while seeing how it’s just waiting for a chance to kill you, was sweet. And who hasn’t wanted a snow golem army? Before you get any ideas, I suggest reading up on what happened when a boy named Calvin tried that.

Oh, I remind everyone of my theory of why Mia Farrow’s so weird and unearthly in this movie.

Synthia forever!

11 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of the Russo-Finnish movies, but Jack Frost is my favorite of the bunch. The others are all going for big, epic stories and this one’s just fun and childish. Plus, Nastenka may be the cutest person to ever appear in a MST3K movie. Wanna fight about it, Lupita?

It’s always a joy watching Pearl and Synthia together. Synthia’s just so excited to be doing anything with her clone-mother. Does it make Pearl more evil than Kinga that she can get Synthia to share her show instead of straight up stealing it? It’s very much in character for Pearl to do that just out of spite. It’s no surprise she’s sympathetic to the wicked step-mother.

And I’m totally with Crow on the elf on the shelf thing. Whose idea was that super creepy little snitch? Bad things would have happened to that thing if we’d had them when I was a kid.

7 Likes

SAMPO! The Day the Earth Froze is an entertaining enough movie, but for some reason it feels really long. I’m glad it has the deliciously dark circus short and all the riffs and sketches that come with it to perk it up a bit.

I liked the Dune spice joke they kicked this one off with, and the titles all the way through are winners, especially the sentient pocket protector and Synthia’s case of Swedish Chef hands. Wait a minute. Who does those titles? Cambot? He’s become a snarky little SOB if so. The Boxing Day sketch was a lot of fun, too. I’ll have to make sure I bring the gloves to the in-laws for the holidays.

Uppercuts for all!

4 Likes

And I’m totally with Crow on the elf on the shelf thing. Whose idea was that super creepy little snitch? Bad things would have happened to that thing if we’d had them when I was a kid.

:100:! I was given one when my kids were really little and tried it for a few days before realizing how disturbing it was (to me! The kids didn’t care… But they should…).

4 Likes

I watched it last night and it seemed like it went on forever to me as well. I mean, I’ve seen it before and it never seemed as long. I blamed watching it back to back with Jack Frost–two Russo-Finnish winter movies back to back may have been a bad idea.

5 Likes

Tonight we visit Atlantis, which is under… Egypt, maybe, and populated by fake Aussies, in Alien From LA. That Kathy Ireland, what a nerd, am I right? I always forget what a fun episode this is. A great Golan Globus bad movie like this is perfect for the show.

More Mega-Synthia! She seems to be a bit more stable this time, but still mad as a box of very mad things served with extra mad sauce. I loved her holding the tiny mug upside-down, seemingly unaware of the point of it all. And I can easily see her crashing through walls like the Kool-Aid man and being the monster under Jonah’s bed. I wonder if Yvonne and Rebecca feed off each other and compete to be the most awesome Pearl clone. All I can tell you is that the real winner is us, because they are two awesome ladies! One thing I love about this season is how it’s included so many people who’ve been involved in the last few years instead of focusing on just one cast and crew.

Anywho, Jonah’s chat with the bots about the multidimensionality of It’s a Wonderful Life got me thinking about what other alternate realities are out there. Are the alternate versions of Mike out there somewhere, knowing a thing or two about a thing or two? It doesn’t bear thinking about.

7 Likes

From Avalanche

Synthia did the credits so Synthia gets the credit!

Yes! :+1:

6 Likes