Synthia's Selects

Yeah, and the talking to someone off camera at the start.

11 Likes

I usually don’t have the TV on when I’m not actively watching something, but I would totally keep Synthia on in the background all day if it was a Synthia Stream.

12 Likes

A new month means more Synthia!

Today I decided to start with Devil Fish, mostly because I had a taste for Italians gen-u-ine Americans fighting blurry sea-beasts. I loved the surprise guest, who reminded us that the real monster is ignorance. I also really want to see the bots stomp around a tiny city now.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have the strangest craving for beer and calamari. Oh, and can I say that I love the hilariously inaccurate lecture in this movie. :rofl:

10 Likes

I carried on into this evening with Giant Gila Monster, and now I really want some Captain Morgan for some reason.

Rooty-toot-toot, more good stuff in this one, with more monster facts from our resident expert and some background on Jonah’s band experiences. And who knew Godzilla was responsible for so many historical disasters?

7 Likes

It’s not my favorite movie with its murky print and plodding second half, but today I decided to watch Gorgo. After a trip to London earlier this year to see Dita Von Teese’s Glamonatrix (booked three years ago and worth the wait) and putting up with crowds of people who have forgotten how to be out in public, religious lunatics screaming into megaphones, and the routine horrors of London, I was looking forward to seeing it get trashed. So I opened a bottle of Hobgoblin (the old artwork was much better) and settled down to watch.

This time the guest was everyone’s favorite little orange pushpop and we learn that Synthia has enough love to destroy for us. Aww! It was nice to get a bit more information on Gorgo’s mom, since she got so little on-screen development, and I really want to see a movie about the kaiju doozer conspiracy now.

The movie itself is actually better than I remember, or at least the riffs are. It was nice seeing the monster win for a change, and it was sweet seeing that cute sailor couple adopt the little Irish boy.

Anyway, I must be Gorgoing now. Thank you, won’t we.

10 Likes

Isn’t that the truth! It’s driving me crazy. We need a Schoolhouse Rock series or something. Gorgo was better than I remembered too

5 Likes

The new Eegah! segments sure are snazzy. I certainly learned a lot about desert Eegahs, or “the giraffes of the Americas”. I think the gang on the SoL got into some really deep stuff on what makes a monster, and now I really want to get my hands on their post-it notes. For… scientific purposes.

Oh, and for some reason Synthia’s sign off on this episode really reminded me of Elvira’s “unpleasant dreams” bit, but, you know, with a giant mug.

Eshtemlo, everybody!

5 Likes

As someone who’s spent way too much time in academia, the line “good enough for my dissertation, good enough for you lot” in Giant Spider Invasion really speaks to me on a primal level. :stuck_out_tongue:

In the episode itself, I always forget the bit where super-wired Crow shoves his face into a bowl of M&Ms. For some reason I find that hilarious.

Anyway, always remember the words of wisdom, “size does and does not matter when it comes to matters of matter.” And of course, Packers, woo!

6 Likes

:metal: Devil Fish :metal:

4 Likes

I’ll never forget this host segment… it was the watershed moment for Bill in my eyes. This was exact point where the awkward stiffness of learning to drive the puppet faded and a real Performance emerged. Right here was where I settled in and though “Yeah, Bill’s gonna be just fine.”

6 Likes

With a new Gamera episode coming up, I finally finished up this month’s vault picks with Gamera vs. Zigra. Weirdly, I was sure I’d gone through all the Gamera films before, but I’ve never actually seen this one. So, thanks, Synthia!

Emily’s a Leonardo! Who knew?! I’m a total Donatello, myself. Yep, definitely. I was a bit worried that we wouldn’t get a Dr. Donna bit this episode, but I got a huge surprise to find out that the Kenny interviewing Gamera was actually her! Wow! I imagine she needs good camouflage skills in her line of work. Gamera’s not quite what I expected, though.

And the discussion on the SoL about monster relatives is so true. Years ago I met Yog Sothoth’s nephew Bob on a trip out west. We shared a magical summer together, learning about life and love, lying out under the stars and sharing our thoughts and dreams. Sigh

Anyway, now I feel prepared for the fight with Jiger this weekend!

5 Likes

Just watched Gorgo for the first time in years, and my big takeaway?

Leonard Maltin is such a great sport. Bright, cheerful, and ultimately shares Pearl’s vision of crushing men’s souls through terrible cinema. What a great guest spot.

11 Likes

I’ve always liked Leonard Maltin even when I’ve disagreed with him. He’s amiable, funny and has an encyclopedic knowledge of film history. Before the internet, his Movie Guide was a must-have for any film buff.

12 Likes

My mother used to get that for me every year for Christmas. She nigh wept when they discontinued it.

7 Likes

Wow, you really are a moviegique! :smiley:

6 Likes

If you’re feeling nostalgic, you can ‘borrow’ it from the Internet Archive.

4 Likes

I am indeed. I’m thinking of having my name legally changed. M. Gique.

That’s charming that you think I wouldn’t have kept every single edition.

BTW, I not only knew Maltin had given Laserblast 2 1/2 stars…I agreed!

3 Likes

Madness!!

5 Likes

Mike : So, Kim Milford’s greasy, pop-eyed performance was every bit as good as F. Murray Abraham’s tortured performance as Salieri in Amadeus .

Crow : According to Leonard Maltin, yes, Mike.

6 Likes

Yeah, but The Zheek’s scale is from 1 to 17, so 2 1/2 seems about right.

3 Likes