Technical Information Introduction Screen for MST3K #1004, Future War

mst3k1004intro

I was just watching the MST3K 24/7 channel over on Twitch, and before Future War began, I caught this technical information screen, similar to the ones we saw in the Comedy Central era:

mst3k422intro

Did this happen a lot for the Sci-Fi episodes and I just haven’t noticed?

6 Likes

I taped them all off the air and I don’t remember seeing any.

5 Likes

Same here.

Not sure if this might have been something that was in effect during the last year of reruns or if this was just a Twitch thing.

2 Likes

I haven’t done an exhaustive inventory of the DVD videos, but these technical bits are sprinkled throughout them.

The first instance I was able to find is S01E04 - Women of the Prehistoric Planet on the Shout DVD, but not on the Rhino version. Of slight interest - these early technical preambles look different from the two @optiMSTie provided.

Screenshot 2022-04-12 201611

9 Likes

Oh, wow… how about that? I was never aware of such a technical screen for the earliest era.

Thanks for throwing that in here!

3 Likes

Sometimes there’s a voice.

5 Likes

While we’re on this topic, there’s a couple things I’ve always wondered.

1. In the realm of broadcast television, I’m sure these reel intro thingys have a technical name. Anyone know what they are really called?

2. @TheBindingPolymer correctly pointed out that some of these have a very…um…casual(?) voice over which changes as time goes on. Very quick - like “Mystery Science Theater 3000 show 104, reel one!”. I’ve always wondered who did those. Anyone know?

4 Likes

White dot.

It was how they got their start in showbiz. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

According to an FAQ over at the Satellite News, it seems that the voice was usually that of Tim Scott, who served as an editor for the show for 48 episodes from 1992 to 1994.

The same FAQ refers to that as a title card, but I’m not sure if that’s widely agreed-upon terminology.

3 Likes

Thankfully White Dot learned that less is, indeed, more.

Better 5 minutes of contemplative silence than 3 seconds which sounded more like a call out on a PA system for a manager to come to register 7.

5 Likes

Yes, those are also known as slates, or production slates. There’s the one classic one that showed up on the Shout DVD of Women of the Prehistoric Planet. All the others are from 403-519. 201-402 have “Turn Your Lights Down Where Available.”
But I have never seen a Sci-Fi era slate before. I have all the dvds, Shout and Rhino. Good catch!

3 Likes

We call them slates at my station

4 Likes

Also: i always thought it was Joel. Has a very Ardy sound to it

1 Like