Terrible Food Ideas

You’re absolutely right but I could definitely see how to Americans it looks like a fad – even here, where there’s a large Asian population (both immigrants and Asian Americans) there were basically no Boba places until about 5 years ago and now they are EVERYWHERE.

I also agree that drinks with blobs of tapioca in them are disgusting, but my niece loves it, so :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

You might be surprised. I once made chocolate hummus at home (can’t recall exactly why, but I think it may have been a dietary thing for a guest) and I recall it being quite good. Take out things like garlic and lemon, and hummus is very similar in texture and flavor to peanut butter, so the chocolate worked well. I’ve never had Sabra’s in particular, but the concept isn’t all that different from mole (the sauce, not the rodent).

1 Like

Well I’ll wait for the Extreme Doritos Locos Goose Tubes, thankyouverymuch

1 Like

Bubble tea isn’t a beverage. It’s a Tik Tok challenge.

1 Like

Dessert hummus is actually pretty great. The chickpea is a wonderful vehicle for all sorts of different flavors.

2 Likes

There was already a “general” tea shop selling them downstairs from a place I used to work: almost a decade ago. Weirdly, that’s about the only way I can stand to consume tapioca, but my real love is the option of replacing the “bubbles” with the little cubes of gelatinous stuff which has a slightly grassy flavor. It’s a great foil for the sugary flavor of the liquid. :yum:

@AndrewCrossett
Bubble tea isn’t a beverage. It’s a Tik Tok challenge.

Yeah well I don’t traffic a site with a name that’s the same as what Captain Hook heard right before he died. So nyah!! (Fuggin’ kids!)

1 Like

Balsamic vinegar is fine on salad, but when it started to work its way into things like pastas and desserts… YUCK! I gave it several chances but yarrgghhh NO!! :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Gah. Totally with you on that.

A former significant other insisted on putting balsamic vinegar into and onto everything.

3 Likes

You’re why we can’t have nice things.

3 Likes

So there’s a bad taste in your mouth over the bad taste in your mouth?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t know Wensleydale was a cheese without Wallace and Gromit.

2 Likes

You mean you’ve never seen the Cheese Shop Sketch?!

5 Likes

Wensleydale’s nearby neighbouring valleys, Swaledale and Coverdale, also produce excellent cheeses. They’re all in the Pennines, a range of hills which is sort of the backbone of England, just as the Apennines are for Italy. You can tell the Romans have visited at some point, can’t you?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t know Coverdale without Whitesnake.

1 Like

Do not fear what you do not understand my friend! I was highly skeptical as well.

3 Likes

My mom loves it and buys some to “leave for me” in my fridge when she visits. It’s gross.

2 Likes

I understand that it’s a cracking cheese, in fact.

4 Likes

Yes, and I really like the way you put that. Appropriating it.

3 Likes

We had some cookie dough ice cream in the freezer the other day. In the spirit of not staying automatically welded to opinions I had 30 years ago, I got a bowl for myself.

Nope. Still horrible. Like trying to eat wet, frozen sand. I never understood the appeal when it first became a big thing, and I still don’t. :nauseated_face:

While I’m at it, the trend of multiple ice cream mix-ins went too far some time ago. Once there’s two non-ice cream components in the container, it’s really time to stop. It seems like manufacturers are only doing this because those mix-ins are cheaper than the ice cream itself. So the more they can force in there, the bigger the profit. There’s even a brand of fancy gelato where they made separate compartments in the container for the mix-ins. I guess it’s supposed to look hip. But really what it does is drive home how little actual ice cream is in your ice cream.

There’s only one way this ends: a container with 11 separate mix-ins and one panicky tablespoon of premium ice cream surrounded by them like a nerd in a schoolyard of bullies.

2 Likes