That song was a cover?!

Did you ever find out a song you’ve known for years was actually a cover version? I just found that out about two songs thanks to a Spotify playlist. The first one is Hard to Handle, the Black Crowes song that got an insane amount of radio play in the 1990s.

Did you know it was actually an Otis Redding song?

And then there’s Soft Cell’s 80s New Wave Hit Tainted Love

Well it was originally a Motown song by Gloria Jones.

I had no idea about either of those. What about you? What songs surprised you when they turned out to be covers?

9 Likes

Shocking indeed! The Bananarama version was definitive for me.

4 Likes

Speaking of all-women bands of the 80s, I heard the Bangles’ version of Hazy Shade of Winter years before I heard the Simon & Garfunkel version. I thought it was an original to them.

4 Likes

Also

I’d been not leaving Thelma Houston that way for the first 40 or so years of my life.

4 Likes

Not sure if this counts, but there was an earlier recorded version of What’s Love Got To Do With It?.

3 Likes

Never would have guessed Step On from the Happy Mondays was a cover of a '71 tune:

3 Likes

Both the Shocking Blue original and the Bananarama cover of “Venus” went to # 1!

3 Likes

There are numerous youtube videos pointing out covers that people might not know were covers. most i knew but every now and then one pops up I didn’t know. Or I knew it was a cover but didn’t know the version I knew of was also a cover.

But it does continue to bug me that Sinead O’Conner still gets credit for Nothing compares when Prince wrote it for a side project years before she touched it. Heck his actual family doesn’t like her use of it and denied her the use of it for a documentary.

4 Likes

This shocked the heck outta me when I first heard it:

6 Likes
5 Likes

Because I was a totally weird kid, I knew the Four Lads song, and when I heard TMBG do it I was not yet mature enough to understand interpretations so I was all like “who the heck are these people? They’ve ruined that song!” Haha how my attitude has changed.

5 Likes

I knew the Four Lads version first too because my mother had it on 45.

2 Likes

This isn’t exactly the same as Cover versions that are better than the originals but it seems related (the “better” version often eclipses the original)…

3 Likes

Oh and how could I forget this weird discovery made listening to dusty old records?

3 Likes

I had only heard M. Stipe’s version of this song, and when I looked it up…it said Syd Barret cover !

2 Likes
3 Likes

Pretty much every Elvis song.

4 Likes

This balances out the fact that CBS has to pay Joan Jett royalties for the Sunday Night Football theme.

5 Likes

Elvis did make hits out of a lot of covers, no shame in that, but he also had many hit songs that weren’t: Jailhouse Rock, Heartbreak Hotel, Can’t Help Falling In Love, Hard Headed Woman, to name several.

As for surprise covers, two I’ll plop down in this thread are:
Lana Del Rey, Doin’ Time, 2019. (Originally by Sublime, 1997.)

And Whitney Houston, I Will Always Love You, 1993. (Originally by Dolly Parton, 1974.)

4 Likes

Rick Springfield’s “I’ve Done Everything For You” is a Sammy Hagar cover.

3 Likes