That Subplot That Stuck Out

Is there a subplot you recall years later? A secondary story you realized outweighed or distracted from the main event? Film, TV, Books. What background seizes the spotlight?

2 Likes

I was WAY more invested in the Jewish couple in ‘Cabaret’ than I was in the main threesome.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Leo Getz in Lethal Weapon 2 (1989). I’m in on the baddies. Joe Pesci just eclipses them peaking with “They F#%& You At The Drive-Thru.”

3 Likes

Wasp Woman which Cinematic Titanic Riffed. I am much more interested in the secretaries and their lives than the main characters.

3 Likes

The smoochers in Manos (1966) led me to wonder. Mr. Unser and his Shakespearen tonsil partner in that car every waking moment? There’s a movie right there!

2 Likes

That one “The girl that I’m attracted to might be my sister” subplot from Ator that’s introduced and quickly resolved. So many questions…

2 Likes

That one fellow who got struck by lightning multiple times in Benjamin Button. I remember those little vignettes better than the actual plot.

1 Like

Me too. Now that you shed light on it. Kristen Stewart’s diabetes in Panic Room (2002) is as poignant as the holdup I thought. Fincher is a maestro of details enriching his subplots accordingly. Zodiac (2007) juggles the buddy cops, the psychotherapist, Robert Downey Jr, and the romance amidst the central Zodiac story. It’s what he does.