That Subplot That Stuck Out

Is there a subplot you recall years later? A secondary story you realized outweighed or distracted from the main event? Film, TV, Books. What background seizes the spotlight?

2 Likes

I was WAY more invested in the Jewish couple in ‘Cabaret’ than I was in the main threesome.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Leo Getz in Lethal Weapon 2 (1989). I’m in on the baddies. Joe Pesci just eclipses them peaking with “They F#%& You At The Drive-Thru.”

3 Likes

Wasp Woman which Cinematic Titanic Riffed. I am much more interested in the secretaries and their lives than the main characters.

3 Likes

The smoochers in Manos (1966) led me to wonder. Mr. Unser and his Shakespearen tonsil partner in that car every waking moment? There’s a movie right there!

2 Likes

That one “The girl that I’m attracted to might be my sister” subplot from Ator that’s introduced and quickly resolved. So many questions…

2 Likes

That one fellow who got struck by lightning multiple times in Benjamin Button. I remember those little vignettes better than the actual plot.

1 Like

Me too. Now that you shed light on it. Kristen Stewart’s diabetes in Panic Room (2002) is as poignant as the holdup I thought. Fincher is a maestro of details enriching his subplots accordingly. Zodiac (2007) juggles the buddy cops, the psychotherapist, Robert Downey Jr, and the romance amidst the central Zodiac story. It’s what he does.

One that comes to mind because apparently the screenwriter decided it wasn’t important after all, was The Codex in Man of Steel.

Supposedly, this little skull thingy is fed into all births on Krypton that approved/planned, and assigns the individual as to what their purpose is.

For some reason, Jor-El steals this and then has it “distilled” into his son’s body.

Now, Kal-El (aka Superman) has no idea this has been done.

Apparently, the Codex is the key to birthing new Kryptonians, and General Zod’s programming via the Codex is he needs people to lead. He believes that Jor-El placed the Codex in the pod that sent Kal away.

Now what is pretty ridiculous, is Zod doesn’t tell Kal that he’s looking for the Codex, just that he wants to use the unborn in a Kryptonian craft to repopulate their race, and remake Krypton on Earth.

And when it is eventually figured out that the Codex is within Kal, Zod does not contact him to say, “to repopulate our world, I need the Codex your father fused into you.”

And by the end of the film, this whole thing ends up forgotten. As far as I know, the Codex is never mentioned again in any follow-up films.

1 Like

I HAVE CANCER!

juliette danielle thats why hes so boring GIF by The Room

1 Like

I am a particular brand of nerd that enjoyed the scenes in the Matrix Trilogy where everyone was just sitting around debating the nature of reality and what really matters way more than any of the flashy action scenes.

1 Like