That Twilighty Show About That Zone

As fans of the weird on TV, I’m sure many of us are fans of Rod Serling’s classic sci-fi/fantasy/horror anthology show. Every ending is a twist. Every show a surprise. And yet, so re-watchable. Which are your favorites? My two are Time Enough at Last with Burgess Meredith (but I’ll watch anything with Burgess Meredith)…

The Monsters are Due on Maple Street

And Five Characters in Search of an Exit

Let’s talk about the Zone.

8 Likes

Can’t say that I have a favorite episode, but I love the style of the stories.

This is slightly off topic, but I once made a Twilight Zone themed guitar pedal.

7 Likes

Rod Serling was from my town. The park from the “Walking Distance” episode is walking distance from where I live. (Though the episode wasn’t filmed there.)

3 Likes

I remember the script to The Monsters are Due on Maple Street was in one of my textbooks and I looked forward to when that came up in the curriculum. It never did. Still read it.

5 Likes
1 Like

I think I had that same textbook!

2 Likes

Anyone else see this film? It was based on a short story that was adapted into a Twilight Zone episode.

3 Likes

Huh, interesting. Did your school cover it?

2 Likes

I remember the episode but I haven’t seen the movie.

1 Like

I haven’t seen that film, but it was obviously based upon this short:

3 Likes

I must have had the same textbook. Freaked me out, BECAUSE I LIVED ON MAPLE STREET!!!

2 Likes

Yes. I can’t remember whether it was high school or college.

2 Likes

I had it in high school.

2 Likes

My father used to tell the story that my brother saw the twist at the end of Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up? and it blew his little six-year-old mind. His jaw just dropped and he stood there, stunned.

3 Likes

I have the complete series on DVD. I’ve only gotten through the first few, though.

4 Likes

“I’m the God! I’m the God!” - TVs Frank

My favorite is The After Hours from the first season - very creepy, plus it stars the lovely Anne Francis as Marcia (who was also lovely in the film Forbidden Planet and the TV series Honey West).

Directed by Douglas “Kitten with a Whip” Heyes

My second fave would probably be The Living Doll (season 5) - “I’m Talky Tina, and you’ll be sorry”

a few others…

Two (Season 3)

Summary

It’s not scary or twisty; it’s simply a smartly told, sharply acted love story. Set in a post-apocalyptic future, it gives us one man (Charles Bronson) and a woman (Elizabeth Montgomery) from opposing sides of the war and places them in this burned-out town. What I like about the script is that doesn’t spell it all out. That kind of restraint is rare in TZ eps and welcome here. We don’t know what started the war, what has really happened with the two sides, we just watch these former enemies slowly connect. Both actors are wonderful; Bronson does most of the heavy lifting, but Montgomery (who only speaks one word, in Russian) delivers the payoff. I loved it when she shows up in the pretty dress Bronson gave her but is still draped in gun belts and weapons (and a quick lift of the dress reveals her combat boots as well). And then she offers a smile that is achingly beautiful and hopeful. That smile sealed the deal for me

Number 12 Looks Just Like You (Season 5)
I thought Richard Long was a hoot, he was in several eps and always did a good job. The lead actress was very good as well (she was in To Kill a Mockingbird.) - Those final scenes made me sad I wish she could have fought the power to the end

But there are so many good ones, The Invaders, A Stop at Willougby, The Midnight Sun, It’s a Good Life…

4 Likes

The Twilight Zone is a great show and always will be. That is I prefer the 1959 version. I’ve not viewed the 1980s remake…and I refuse to watch the more recent revival.

That said, one of my favorite episodes is paradoxically one I have the most problem with - To Serve Man.

Don’t get me wrong - this is a very memorable episode and among the best written.

But why would Kanamits want to eat humans?! Humans are very bony and have little meat content. You can’t farm humans either due to how neither they are quick/efficient at food-to-meat conversion, nor can they eat inedible biomass (grass anyone)?

Kanamits also passed up on creatures with much more meat content like cattle, bison, etc. to eat bony, scrawny humans with not much meat on them.

It doesn’t make sense!!

4 Likes

For the challenge? Because they’re bored? Because the look on their faces is priceless?

4 Likes

There were some good episodes in the 80’s series, like The Last Defender of Camelot, but some not-so-good ones as well. Theme music by Mickey Hart (with some more of the GD) WAS AWESOME.

2 Likes

I’ll let all the dietary issues pass, but I will not let go of the fact that the spaceship doorways are not sized correctly for their inhabitants:

4 Likes