That Twilighty Show About That Zone

I bet the zip line is fun. And who wouldn’t want to ride a pregnant horse?

2 Likes

Tell that to Charlton Heston!

2 Likes

One of my favorites was The Howling Man, because of the terrific performance given by John Carradine. Proof that he was a good actor when given a good script and good role.

Seeking refuge from a storm, a traveler comes upon a bizarre abbey of monks, who have imprisoned a man who begs for his help. When he confronts the head monk, he is told that the man is the Devil, and he must decide whom to believe.

4 Likes

My favorite from the '60s version was the one with Agnes Moorehead as the woman fighting the little aliens with a broom.

The '80s version had some very good episodes. The ones I can think of were “Button, Button” with Brad Davis and Mare Winningham, “Profile in Silver” with Lane Smith, and “Her Pilgrim Soul” with Kris Tabori and Gary Cole, which was paired with a really funny short called “I of Newton” with Ron Glass and Sherman Hemsley.

4 Likes

From the original series, there are very few episodes that I don’t like.

We’ve got both the full 60s run and 80s remake on DVD. So much good stuff.

3 Likes

I like/love the individual stories, but the series overall has an atmosphere of doom - no matter what choice you make, it will be the wrong one.

With a few notable exceptions, nearly all episodes end badly for the main characters.

5 Likes

That’s very Lovecraftian!

The best we can hope for is to avoid notice.

3 Likes

Another one I liked was Mirror Image from the first season

Summary

This is another that creeped the hell out of me - due in large part to Vera Miles strong performance but also because we never really get a clear-cut reason for the doppelganger’s motivations (though our leading lady offers a hypothesis). They aren’t your traditional conquerors nor are they benevolent travelers. They don’t seem to be here by accident, and there isn’t an, “us or them” scenario… the only indication of intent is the cold, gleeful smiles they wear. It’s as if f-ng
with us was pure, unfiltered joy juice. Are they just doing it for the kicks? I’m not sure, but there’s something malicious in those smiles, something chilling. And the lack of a reason for it all adds to my unease.

3 Likes

In addition to some great writers, the original also boasts a pretty impressive stable of composers, Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith and Franz Waxman (to name a few).

Lots of great music, which includes, of course, that distinct guitar riff in the theme.

That’s another classic - Robin Hughes, who played Satan, was Gideon Drew in The Thing That Couldn’t Die

6 Likes

Some time ago, I had researched MST3K actors who appeared on The Twilight Zone which can be found in Ward E at Satellite News. There were a few surprises. Did you know that Lisa Foster of Cave Dwellers was on The Twilight Zone? Obviously, it was the Eighties revival (she was a nurse in “Father & Sone Game”). One that was very interesting, but stupid was Arte Johnson, who was Irv in “The Whole Truth”.

1 Like

bb58e554a8ee0dd40d9d66bec5e815ff--twilight-zone-episodes-charles-bronson

slslsl

6g3lnxtm91441

AND This thread needs a tribute to James Best, but I’m too lazy to do it!

4 Likes

Love this one too - and the actual howling man was played by Robin Hughes, the headless fellow from this MST classic…

3 Likes

Ooops - I posted before I realized you already shared this info.

3 Likes

My favorite episode is one I’ve been told wasn’t written for the show. However, the producers/writers liked the story so much, they made it into an episode anyway: An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

3 Likes

That’s correct. It was originally an Ambrose Bierce short story.

2 Likes

It was a French short film bought and aired on TZ - so it wasn’t even filmed for the show.

2 Likes

I didn’t even know that!

If it was mentioned in one of the…I think it was called like A Companion to the TZ stuff or something…ton of great information directly cited from Serling’s correspondence, memoirs, and stuff…have it around here somewhere I must have completely checked out for that one.

But Ambrose Bierce, Devil’s Dico, superplus good.

2 Likes

They showed us that episode in English class in high school. A real mind-frak.

2 Likes

Judgement Night is scary.

Twilight-zone-judgement-night-1

Carl Lanser finds himself on an ocean liner, the Queen of Glasgow, late at night in 1942 with an odd feeling the ship will sink very shortly. He meets the passengers of the ship, trying to warn them; they are in turn nice to him. Despite feeling compassion for the passengers, the ship is sunk…by him!

Carl Lanser turned out to be the German U-boat captain who sank the ship and is being punished for all eternity by being forced to relive the final moments of the passengers & crew.

Notice how the British passengers on the ship are drinking coffee instead of the preferred choice, tea? That was because General Foods sponsored this episode.

3 Likes

I remember seeing the unaired pilot episode. It’s about a guy from the 1950’s who finds himself transported back to Pearl Harbor the day before the attack, and tries to convince everyone it’s going to happen.

2 Likes