That Twilighty Show About That Zone

In the full version of the episode there’s some opening narration from Serling:

Maybe they cut it for time in modern TV airings, but it’s there if you stream it or watch it on disc.

You might be thinking of the Night Gallery episode “Lone Survivor” with John Colicos, where he escapes the Titanic and is picked up by the Lusitania.

4 Likes

Ouch, that’s some terrible luck.

2 Likes

Certainly not my choice of time travel adventures.

2 Likes

Indeed, although most time travel adventures are likely to suck. History is a miserable thing.

2 Likes

I bet I could have all kinds of fun if I had a time machine… say one in a Cessna made of a Commodore-64.

3 Likes

jackelamtz

Doing the bouncy thing here, too!

3 Likes

That is what I was thinking of. I guess the fact that the episode was in color should have been my first clue it wasn’t original TZ.

4 Likes

And now for a quick change of pace-

1 Like

You wouldn’t believe what point in time it picks him up! (And yes, no one can believe he survived 3 years at sea nor his prediction about what’s about to happen.)

Anyway, to actually tie back to the original poster. After the Lusitania sinks, his lifeboat is spotted by the … dun dun dun … Andrea Doria

3 Likes

Watch Mojo’s Top 10 Creepiest Moments (with a spoiler alert)

Lots of spine-tingling moments there. They named a few of my favorites that I’ve already talked about, but agree with The Midnight Sun, Little Girl Lost, Night Call. (all 3 are favorites to boot)

The Hitchhiker is really good, though I have a bit of a problem with the narration. It over explained the obvious for me. I’d have rather it just allowed the actress to convey her concern through body language and expression, without the aid of voice over. Kind of undercuts the creepy, just a shade.

As for others, Dummies are pretty creepy

R

2 Likes

Ah, Talky Tina. Voiced by June “Rocky the Flying Squirrel” Foray.

2 Likes

Another episode I love so much?

“The Lonely.”

Once seen, it’s not at all easily forgotten. A tremendous meditation on loneliness (naturally), companionship, and humanity.

5 Likes

Amazing episode, and that ending was crushing.

4 Likes

That ending is BRUTAL.

That closing narration:

On a microscopic piece of sand that floats through space is a fragment of a man’s life. Left to rust is the place he lived in and the machines he used. Without use, they will disintegrate from the wind and the sand and the years that act upon them. All of Mr. Corry’s machines, including the one made in his image, kept alive by love, but now obsolete—in The Twilight Zone.

Just… damn.

6 Likes

There’s also a hint, just based on what Corry says at the end, that he’s going to murder the Captain for killing the android. (I saw this one not too long ago.)

2 Likes

I have seen the Talky Tina episode many times, and it still scares the bejeesus out of me, more than any other in the series. Something about creepy dolls just unsettles me.

3 Likes

Another scary one. It’s a Good Life.

“You be dead.”

4 Likes

I wish I’d have thought to use this when dudes were hating on Kelsey (in sexist ways) :wink:

3 Likes

To be fair to you, Night Gallery segments written by Rod Serling basically are Twilight Zone in color. He has a very distinctive voice to his writing. “Class of ‘99” and “Midnight Never Ends” (to name two S2 episodes I’ve watched recently) both scream Twilight Zone.

5 Likes

They still do that! I watch every year.

4 Likes