The 70s Thread - The Party Did Never Stop!

I mean, do we even HAVE a disco ball emoji?

Well, whatever. Have at it, ya’ turkeys!!

12 Likes

:mirror_ball::mirror_ball::mirror_ball::mirror_ball::mirror_ball:

9 Likes

Woo hoo!! The Penn Factory AFTER DARK!!!

Yowza yowza yowza!!

5 Likes
7 Likes

homer simpson GIF

5 Likes

Pretty sure that even when the shows premiered I found “McMillan & Wife” intensely annoying.

“…And Wife” did not fit in with my baby feminist Free To Be You And Me sensibilities. :grin:

4 Likes

I love that Disco Stu started as a one-note joke and has become one of the better cameo characters.

5 Likes

More on cartoons:

The Pink Panther shows had at least three different theme songs back then since they kept tinkering with the running time and guest stars, and I think with minor effort I could still remember them all. One or more may have technically been after 1979, however.

I would still watch those in a heartbeat. Also, I’ve been meaning to look up the Dr. Doolittle cartoons, (same studio) which I preferred to the books. Some are on YouTube now, and whoa! I think for some reason they made the doc bishonen before anyone here even knew what that meant. lol I definitely didn’t remember that part. :grin:

2 Likes

With Scatman as the voice of Hong Kong Phooey!!!

8 Likes

Ouch. If we have to list all the cartoons with bad Asian stereotypes from that decade, we’ll need a much bigger forum. :confused:

“Fuji” the dog from The Osmond Brothers’ cartoon, anyone? :neutral_face:

4 Likes

Got that one on DVD!

1 Like

Yeah…I get it…but as a small child, I did love this cartoon. :slightly_smiling_face: :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Same. Well, if not this one than others with similar problems.

But nostalgia can be kind of a moral minefield. Perhaps that’s why I waited so long to start the thread. :thinking:

3 Likes

I recently posted a remembrance of 1975 at Letterboxd, here are a few things I wrote about…

In 1975 Rod Serling passed away and Kate Winslet was born

In ‘75 I was reading Stephen King’s Salems’ Lot and James Clavell’s Shōgun

61016c91643bb9f60d8f40b06eb257ca

On TV I watched Tom Snyder interview John Lennon - All in the Family, MASH and Sandford and Son were weekly watches - Saturday Night Live made its debut, I was a night owl and was channel surfing when I happened upon George Carlin. “I like George Carlin”, I thought, “I’ll watch this” and it became my regular Saturday night thing. Also debuting, The New Original Wonder Woman, which aired as a pilot for an upcoming series.

In sports there was the Thrilla in Manila, Ali vs Frazier

In music, I was digging Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody and Nazareth’s Hair of the Dog - The Tubes released their first album - and I really like Janis Ian’s single, At Seventeen.

But the biggest thing in rock and roll was Alice Cooper’s first solo outing, Welcome to My Nightmare. I was mad for the album and the TV special that went with it. Only Women Bleed was a hit, and my father refused to believe it was him when it played on the radio, “No, seriously?” My Alice year started on January 13th, 1975, when Coop performed Unfinished Sweet on the first episode of the Smothers Brothers Show.

And in film the summer blockbuster was born, in the form of my first favorite movie, Jaws. I adored this thing, loved the characters, and interestingly I came to adore sharks, I was fascinated with them, studied up on them, I think I wanted to become Hooper when I grew up, lol. It’s probably my most watched movie and was the first I saw in theaters more than once; I saw it again when it made a return decades later, and I’ll be there if/when it receives a 50th anniversary showing.

Other movies I liked in 1975?

• The Travelling Players
  • Mirror
  • Barry Lyndon
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock
  • Under the Blossoming Cherry Trees
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  • Dersu Uzala
  • Love and Death
  • Dog Day Afternoon
  • Fear of Fear

and of course, The Terror of MechaGodzilla, Super Inframan and Deathrace 2000

5 Likes

How about Schoolhouse Rock? Started in 1973!!

9 Likes

I was one of the actual people who was scared to go into the ocean because of the movie. Which I probably didn’t even see in the theater because the folks would’ve said I was too young. Just the trailers on TV were enough to freak me out, though.

The real problem that frequently kept us out of the water back then was red tide, though.

2 Likes

And from our old friend Sandy Frank!

G-Force! (aka Battle of the Planets)

4 Likes

Hate to ruin things by adding literature to the mix, but…

1. Thomas Rockwell!
3 Likes

I absolutely loved G-Force !

2 Likes

For the discerning folks on Earth-

For the discerning folks trapped in space-

5 Likes