The 70s Thread - The Party Did Never Stop!

I remember watching Fay but nothing else about it.

Something that happened in the 70s -

I ‘member those days, sorta. We flew a couple times when I was a kid, and mom stressed about how we were dressed. Can you say ‘clip on bow tie?’. Yes, I’ve worn one before I had hair… in my ears.

Even after deregulation it took a while for changes to propagate. Into the 80s, I remember a bar cart being set up in coach. Want a gin and tonic? That will be $1. But I wasn’t rich, so I just had a free beer.

I ‘member stretching out on a red-eye flight across all 5 of the center seats of a wide body. In coach. Seriously.

Don’t get me started on my love of 747s. Wide asiels, wide seats… and the upper deck I’ve ridden in twice. Seats bigger than my bedroom… well, maybe not that big. Now the few remaining ones carry boxes, not people.

There was a time I’d have been happy to have been told I have to fly to somewhere.

Today is not that day.

4 Likes

Two thoughts after seeing this…

1. Who knew the six million dollar man would use his bionic superpowers to be an expert shot with a water pistol? Seriously that looks like Lee Majors.

2. That’s not water.

2 Likes

The 1978 cartoon “Yogi’s Space Race” and one of its supporting segments “the Galaxy Goof-Ups” were clearly meant to cash in on Star Wars. But what I remember most about the Galaxy Goof-ups through reruns in the 1980s and 1990s - it was Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Scare Bear and Quack-Up as space cops - was something that happened once per episode: a trip to a local space disco! Complete with trippy animation and bizarre music!

Anyone want to guess what the animators and storyboard artists were smoking when they did these scenes?

1 Like

Which were your favorite 1970s TV detective shows? You may choose up to five.

• Barnaby Jones
  • Mannix
  • Adam-12
  • The Mod Squad
  • McCloud
  • McMillan & Wife
  • Cannon
  • Starsky & Hutch
  • Hawaii Five-0
  • Kojak
  • The Streets of San Francisco
  • Police Woman (starring Earl Holliman)
  • The Rockford Files
  • Police Story
  • Columbo
  • Ellery Queen
  • Harry O
  • The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew
  • Baretta
  • Other
0 voters
1 Like

Honestly, they were not my favorite shows from the 70, I know we have a lot of fans here, but they rarely appealed to me. I voted for Streets of SF and E. Queen because my mother would watch them, and sometimes I’d watch along with her. But the only one I really, really liked, was The Mod Squad, and primarily because Lincoln Hayes was the coolest cat on TV.

I marked other for Toma, a 1 season wonder that was replaced by Baretta, which I hated.

And for Barney Miller, which I watched with pops, as it was one of his favorite shows (he was a comedy guy)

Adam 12 which started in the 60s, I’d catch from time to time, and Charlies Angels, because I was a teenager… 'nuff said.

Would Kolchak count, investigative reporter, or is this just for actual detectives, cops and PI’s?

2 Likes

Ellery Queen (Jim Hutton, (wearing the hat), above) and Columbo were my favorite 70s detective shows. I also watched maybe a dozen more: Banacek, Barnaby Jones, Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, McCloud, Mrs. Columbo, Scooby-Doo, Baretta, McMillan & Wife, Quincy M.E., and maybe a tiny amount of Switch and The Magician. The Internet seems to think that Get Smart belongs in this list, too. FWIW I never even heard of Eisheid (Mitchell Joe Don Baker) until recently.

P.S. I consider “detective shows” to be a detective (pro or amateur) acting more or less independently. A team of police is a “cop show” or “police procedural” in my eyes.

2 Likes

They had some memorable theme songs

I always got a kick when they’d do a Mod Squad riff, I remember Joel doing one on a CT release, and finishing it with, “Oh, I’m old” - lol

The only thing that would bug me was that Julie didn’t get to do a lot, action wise, and was often there to be rescued. She can’t even run on her own without help of the other 2, in the intro! Come on, let Julie shine, she’s awesome!

And Toma, I don’t know how it holds up, but I loved it back when it aired.

Yeah, Toma was very good. I wish I could find it today.

The Mod Squad drove that bad@$$ Challenger.

The NBC Sunday Night Mystery Movie was must-see TV in our house when I was a kid. I was a fan of the Big 3 – McC, McM and Columbo – but not so much Hec Ramsey. Even as a kid I could see Columbo was in a class of its own both in terms of writing and acting. McMillan & Wife I liked almost as much for the comic relief provided by Nancy Walker and John Schuck as I did for the crime solving abilities of the title characters. I never saw the series after Susan St. James left the show.

Ellery Queen was also must-see TV back then. My mom was an avid reader of the Queen books and I liked the period setting of the show and the whole “do you know who dunnit?” challenge at the end of each episode. I was super bummed out when it was cancelled after just one season.

Another show I was sorry to see get canned so quickly was The Magician. Bill Bixby was already one of my favorite TV actors after seeing him for years on My Favortie Martian and The Courtship of Eddie’s Father. I was also into magic as a kid so seeing one of my favorite actors as a mystery solving magician made it a slam dunk fave. I bet if I were to watch it today though, it would probably seem pretty hokey.

Hawaii Five-0 was a holdover from the 60s. I was a pretty regular watcher until maybe the mid-70s. Khigh Dheigh, the actor who played the recurring villain Wo Fat on that show, got his own detective series called Khan! (exclamation mark included). It ran for only four episodes in Feb. 1975, but I know I saw at least a couple of them.

I’m surprised Toma gets remembered at all today since it was just a one season show and hasn’t been run in syndication since there weren’t enough episodes made. I do recall watching it and liking it. I watched the first few episodes of Baretta, but it didn’t grab me.

Anybody else remember this show? It starred a couple of actors who have appeared in MST3K experiments. I still have the Viewmaster reels from it.

Columbo, Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew, Streets of S.F., and The Rockford Files.

I remember most of the others, but these are the ones I remember taking the most interest in as a kid.

It’s honestly dispiriting to think of how much we marinated in a cop 'n crime sea back then, and I suppose we still do.

I’ve watched some of those compendiums of openers for shows that never got past one season. One of them was Ron Leibman’s Kaz. He was an ex-con turned public defender and the show won an Emmy after the network canceled it. :frowning: I never heard of it until last year. Wish I could see it now.

Reading this list also reminds me of Poker Face, which several people on here have praised, including me. We all think of it as adhering to Columbo-ian values structure-wise, and it does. But only now does it occur to me that its forebear is equally The Rockford Files. Because our protagonist, like Jim Rockford, is emphatically NOT the law. She’s a margins-dweller, just as Jim was.

2 Likes

The 70s was also the last gasp for the television western.

You had Gunsmoke, Alias Smith & Jones, the last few years of Bonanza, Little Hoiuse on the Prarie, Kung Fu, High Chapparal, and Lancer among others.

I liked Smith & Jones, High Chapparal and Lancer. Wasn’t much for Little House. My father watched Gunsmoke a lot.

4 Likes

Trying to remember when “Little House” went off the rails for me. In the early seasons, it was fun and not super-depressing.

We really weren’t a Westerns family, which is odd when I think about it. Stuff like Dirty Harry and Death Wish are, in a sense, the descendants of Westerns, and my folks liked those even though we were considered too little for them.

I have dim memories of seeing a few Gunsmoke and Bonanza episodes. Must’ve been at a friend’s house, though.

I have never thought of Little House as a western.

1 Like

Not in the traditional gunfight at the OK corral sense, but it did take place in the same sort of setting. Moving out to the middle of nowhere. Farmers and ranchers dealing with issues surrounding expansion into new places. It’s at the edge, but I don’t know what other sort of genra you’d give it.

2 Likes

Lucille Tarlek of WKRP: “The Little House in the Prairie, that’s a fine, wholesome show. It’s about blind children out west, and every week they have a fire, or someone gets an incurable disease. We enjoy it very much!”

I believe WKRP aired opposite it at the time.

4 Likes

Yeah, Little House wasn’t a cowboy centered tale, but there are all types of westerns, western subgenres and subjects… from cattlemen, land barons, mountain men, cavalry tales and homesteader’s… Little House would fit under that umbrella.

I’m a big-time western fan, and the family would watch them regularly, but it was more a 60s thing, Kung Fu was probably my last gasp for the western series, that was a favorite for 2 of its 3 seasons (bummer that the final season was so weak, considering that Caine finally reached his goal - that should have been the peak, not the valley)

When Dan Blocker died Bonanza lost its heart. I’m not sure if we stayed with Gunsmoke to the very end or not?

Oh, and The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams, I did watch that.

1 Like
1 Like

Buffalo Rider, that’s one of my favorite Rifftrax. I like the Buffalo Jones theme song, and all the versions Mike, Kev and Bill sang.