The 70s Thread - The Party Did Never Stop!

Another 70s Western, spun off from Gunsmoke

1 Like

Boy, I don’t remember that one

1 Like

With Jeanette Nolan from Avalanche (and a million other things.)

I was glad to see her finally getting a starring role on TV and I wanted it to succeed, but westerns were pretty much over at that point.

2 Likes

Speaking of Bonanza

Back in the mid-1960s when I was a wee lad, I had to have surgery and spent some time in the Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital in St. Louis. I’m not sure how long I stayed there, at least a week, maybe more.

One day, they took a whole bunch of us kids (and accompanying adults) down to the day room. Picture this large room filled with sick, cranky kids in bandages and wheelchairs. The special event of that day was a personal appearance by none other than Little Joe Cartwright himself, Michael Landon!

What I recall most was me almost constantly crying and bawling. As best as I could explain it, my thinking was that he belonged inside that little box and the fact that he was here, in person, meant something had gone horribly askew in the universe. Why couldn’t the adults see that?

He went around the room greeting and chatting with every kid there. He may not have spent as much time with me as he did with some other kids (because, you know, of my incessant wailing and whatnot), but I do recall Mr. Landon being quite gracious and he had a beautiful smile. My mom, who was with me that day, may have formed a little crush on him because she was a devoted watcher of every show he was in for the rest of his life.

Somewhere around here I still have a piece of paper with his autograph on it.

5 Likes

Ever since You’ll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again, I’ve gotten him confused with Michael Brandon.

Plus going against Sandford and Son doesn’t help. That was one of my regular watches, so when they mentioned that in the video, I thought, “Ah, that’s why I don’t remember it”, I was watching Fred and Lamont.

2 Likes

I had no hope of wrenching the TV away from my little sisters and The Brady Bunch.

3 Likes
1 Like

Little House was a staple in our house when I was a kid. I remember watching it from the floor, chin in hands, with my sisters, who got the biggest kick each time the little girl tripped in the meadow during the opening.

We watched it for years, but I drifted away at some point after it took a dark turn. Something to do with a drifter molesting one of the girls, maybe? My memory of it is fuzzy.

Even so, I was delighted to discover several years ago that it had a Blu-ray release. Just seeing it on DVD was remarkable; the detail and clarity, wow. It was hard to recall just how bad it must have looked back then, around that dinky little tube TV. The Blu-rays must be spectacular.

I miss Michael Landon. As far as I can tell, he was one of the good ones. Honest, reliable, practiced what he preached.

3 Likes

Not exactly, according to wikipedia.

In general, it’s better not to read in detail about anyone you admire. [sad trombone] Let me tell you all about a favorite author who earnestly went around burbling about what a handsome charmer Goebbels was… and then she quietly pretended she never did any such thing once Pearl Harbor was attacked.

3 Likes

I wondered if that might be the case. I deliberately didn’t do any research, was just drawing from memory. I appreciate you not bursting my bubble with details.

2 Likes

In my mind, a key component of the Western genre is the hardscrabble life on the frontier. So Little House on the Prairie is definitely a Western. It’s a principle I apply when determining if an SF work really is an SF Western. Star Wars is not an SF Western, it’s an SF samurai film. Firefly is an SF Western. In spite of the title, Cowboy Bebop is not an SF Western, it’s an SF Noir. Trigun is an SF Western. Trigun: Stampede is just a mockery of all that is good and true, but that’s a diatribe for another time.

3 Likes

I’m guessing that the police procedural is one of TV’s most successful formulas (other than maybe the minimum-three-jokes-per-page sitcom). It has even been grafted to non-crime/policing stories, like DC’s Lucifer (whaaat?), and Sleepy Hollow. (…and always with opposite sex pairings?) Of course this strategy isn’t guaranteed to work, even with originally policing-themed stories (e.g. The Minority Report TV series :nauseated_face:).

obligatory 1970s-related:
I watched* the series Gemini Man from episode 1 until it was yanked from the schedule about a month later (*pun intended). (What can I say? I like the sci-fi shows, too.) MST3K note: Two episodes were grafted together into a “movie”, Riding with Death, which was riffed in a season 8 episode.

3 Likes

1970’s TV Trivia Time!

In the 1970s western series Alias Smith & Jones, actor Ben “Not a Turkey” Murphy played the role of –

• Smith
  • Jones
  • Horshack
  • None of the above
  • Being so full of talent, Ben Murphy played ALL the roles in that series
  • Other
0 voters
1 Like

Question about the thread title - I guess I always thought the lyric was “the party didn’t ever stop”. Have I been wrong all this time?

4 Likes

No worries. I thought the non-complaint thread was about non-compliance for a long time and didn’t see anything wrong with that.

5 Likes

I was too lazy to switch on the closed captions. Besides, those can be wrong, too. :person_shrugging:

:notes: “…the senior hobby was doing all right…” :notes: ???

1 Like

And when are we going to get a 50s thread so we can talk about when Emperor Claudius died?

6 Likes

There might be a couple of people who can describe what primary colors looked like back then.

3 Likes

I’ll just post even more old ads from my stash. We all know that ads are basically documentaries and will tell you the undisputed and complete truth about whatever era they were made in, right?

Leave It To Beaver was exactly how everyone experienced the Fifties. Just like Mentos ads were exactly how every day of my life went in the Nineties. [nods sagely]

4 Likes