The 70s Thread - The Party Did Never Stop!

I think I may not have seen those until the 1980s, which I think was when we got cable. I’m a little fuzzy on whether I was 13 or 14 when that happened.

My brother was a huge fan.

2 Likes

Other than the 1975 tribute, the first thing that popped into my head when I saw subject header?

7 Likes

I inherited my brother’s Micronauts. And my mother thinks every action figure is a Micronaut.

I also inherited his comics. The Micronauts comics were amongst them. Very good series despite being based on the toy line rather than the other way around. One of the better Marvel comics at the time.

6 Likes

The X-Men crossover later on was a special level of tastelessness. Someone should really have punched out Chris Claremont, even if the whole thing wasn’t his original idea.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was not good. And I can’t remember at what issue they changed writers, but suddenly the dialogue became incredibly stilted. But the first storyline where they fight Baron Karza was great.

2 Likes

I didn’t really get super into superheroes until the 1980s. But Dynamite used to do spotlight articles on the most famous characters. I would always read those. Later, they had Dawnstar and Nightglider, and uh… Jive Turkey. Bringing us back around to embarassing stereotypes yet again. [sigh]

5 Likes

I had a bunch of Dynamite issues in the 80s, but this is the 70s thread so I’ll point out that it’s debatable, but I would say that the Firesign Theater peaked in 1972 with this brilliant album.

2 Likes

Also from the 70s and inspirations for a little cowtown puppet show you might have heard of-

6 Likes

Not gonna’ lie: I would wear that ladies’ suit right now. Maybe in a brighter color, though.

There was a certain aesthetic from that time that was all about vests and A-Line skirts and the like. It isn’t remembered now in the same way the very garish glittery/glam/party-time stuff is, but it got equated in my mind with adult sophistication and I wished I could wear it.

I was a curly girl, too and envied my sis and every other girl who had the fashionable flat, shiny, parted-on-the-side 'dos. I didn’t get to gloat about what nature gave me until the late 1980s and early 90s.

2 Likes

I was still a comics nut in the 70s, we got our first comic book shop in the 70s

3 Likes

Back then I did have a

but not a

Pet-Rock-prototype-1975-Courtesy-of-The-Strong-Rochester-New-York.-1

11 Likes

If it wasn’t already a thing of the past by the advent of anti-depressents, I guess they would’ve finished off Mood Rings for good. :wink:

2 Likes

Not only do they still sell pet rocks, they sell mini pet rocks. Which they don’t call pet pebbles for some reason.

5 Likes

I had a small dog named Pebbles in the 70s :smiley:

6 Likes

I had a huge Micronaut and Star Wars figure collection. The Micronauts were sometimes hard to find, but really very cool, and all interchangeable.

Although, I found that by playing with them so much, they lost much of their original ability to hold poses and/ or weapons.

3 Likes

Yes, all of the Micronauts I inherited were all loose and floppy.

2 Likes

Loose and Floppy is my Steely Dan cover band name! :laughing:

6 Likes

The idea of a live band covering Steely Dan songs is a bit odd.

3 Likes

It’s just a random running joke in our house…you hear a strange string of words and say that is your ___________ cover band name! :laughing:

2 Likes

For me, the 1970s is the late, great Trina Schart Hyman and the beautiful traditional drawings she did in Cricket, as well as the funny incidental characters she would draw in the margins of the more serious stories. Also, the “Cricket And Ladybug” comics she always drew for the back of the magazine.

I still have several of her books. I’d own them all if I had more money. I’m sure she was a huge influence on me when I tried to draw comics as a kid. (Sadly, I never did learn to draw well but oh well. Still found a way to make art.)

I still own the copy of Caddie Woodlawn she signed for me at a guest appearance in the 1990s. Again, a badly dated story now but I can’t ever let it go because of this.

3 Likes