The 80s Thread - Do a lot of coke and vote for Ronald Reagan!

I think I still have the Raisins figure I got at Hardee’s as a kid.

4 Likes

The California Raisins and “Where’s The Beef?” have to be two of the most successful ad campaigns in history.

2 Likes

It’s common for the previous decade to influence the following decade - fashions, fad, music, politics, society, etc.

Just as the early 1980s still felt like the 1970s, the early 1990s still felt like the 1980s. 1990, 1991 and 1992 did feel more like 1985-1989. It’s been said that the election and inauguration of Bill Clinton as President of the United States in January 1993 marked the true end of the 1980s socially, politically and culturally…and where the 1990s truly began. Of course, the 1990s has its own thread.

Totally! I think “Got milk?” belongs up there too (although I think that was 90s, so maybe it doesn’t count here).

3 Likes

I owned the album.

5 Likes

The clay animation raisins were made by Will Vinton Studios, probably the best clay animation studio the U.S. has had. In general, less cartoony than Aardman. Their human characters were pretty realistic.

2 Likes

“Hey, is that Freedom Rock?”

This commercial ran in 1987, 1988 and 1989 on broadcast and cable television. It was for “Freedom Rock”, an album collection of hits from the 1960s and 1970s.

This is significant to the 1980s for a good reason. By the late 1980s, demographics with “Oldies” radio stations started to change. 1950s music started to be phased out with music from the 60s and 70s taking those stations over.

This commercial was actually filmed on site in a forest in Colorado Springs, CO. The actor on the left in the commercial is Michael Beard, active in local theater. The guy on the right was a radio DJ named Randall Perry; he sadly passed away in 1995.

5 Likes

And that reminds me of Randee of the Redwoods.

1 Like

Well turn it up, man!!

Timeless intro to a commercial. Probably gets referenced monthly at our house.

4 Likes

Me 35 years ago: “Man, that commercial is so stupid.”

Me now: “Remember that commercial… Hey man, is that Freedom Rock? Yeah, man! Well turn it up, man! Ha ha ha…”

6 Likes

Oh nice, Randee did a PSA for voting registration a few years ago.

I know this commercial is from the late 1980s, but that “two CDs” reference seems like a record scratch moment for a 60s-ish music ad.

Also, back in the early 1980s, the “oldies” stations played music from the 1950s+, and at the time seemed quite “moldy” to teen/ young adult ears. Funny how, equivalently, that 1980s-90s music today is apparently not only not “*super* moldy”, but also is frequently heard playing in retail and grocery stores. Is it because they refuse to “muzak” 2010+ songs?

… And even more odd, I have heard actual Mose Allison (late 1950s Jazz) playing recently in Starbucks stores and on broadcast radio (though public radio, like a local Pacifica affiliate). I’m like, “What is even happening now?!?”

3 Likes

It’s because music from 2010+ is very largely crap.

That’s not just my opinion, but is reflected in streaming numbers that show young people listening to songs from the 80s and 90s more than current stuff, with a very few exceptions like Taylor Swift.

4 Likes

Some alt and indie rock is what sounds freshest to me today. There have also been recent ‘80s covers in those genres that may sound a little harsh to older ears, but do quite well on the charts, including “Africa” (Weezer?) and “We didn’t start the fire” (Fall Out Boy). (…though also country artist Luke Combs and “Fast Car”, which is quite good IMO).

2 Likes

Everything the Sex Pistols ever released now classifies as Oldies.

Seriously, am I the only one who remembers Randee of the Redwoods?

There are tens of us! TENS OF US!!!

3 Likes

I remember him from his MTV station IDs and his appearance in the video for Me, Myself, And I

1 Like

Also, before Kate Bush’s “Running Up That Hill” belatedly topped the charts thanks to Stranger Things, a cover by Meg Myers did really well on alt-rock radio.

1 Like

I remember Randee. I keep him over here in my brain with Yahoo Serious, where they can be blown out the airlock if I need the space.

1 Like