The 90s Thread - You know, lots of kids will remember these things.

Oh you’re the one.

2 Likes

And I might top it off with Secret of the Ooze.

Nobody wants to admit it, but the 90s marketed literal sewage to kids.

2 Likes

TMNT made sewage cool.

2 Likes

The Littles and Fraggle Rock made home invasion and theft cool.

Oh wait, that was the 80s, sorry.

No disagreement but it also opened the gates for an entire decade of toxic-waste, sewer dwelling cartoons. You had mutant league, street shark… any kid in the 90s was likely looking forward to the day a truck filled with radioactive goo overturned onto them

3 Likes

Speaking of kids’ shows… I explained Captain Planet and the Planeteers to my daughter the other day and she thought it was so incredibly stupid. I mean she’s right, but also how dare she!

Especially since most of his villains have since moved on to office <_<

2 Likes

But, what about the power of Heart?

1 Like

I do give it credit for letting us know about the big Russian surfing scene.

The only other major 90s events I can remember were my school going bonkers for Lion King and Aladdin. Like absolutely nuts for it.

1 Like

I was 25+ for the entirety of the 90s, so most of my sewage-related memories involve work, my shtti neighborhoods, or circling shtti neighborhoods waiting for sketchy weed guys.

2 Likes

Fortunately for me thats the forgotten period between 2000 and 2009 that history ignores

2 Likes

Oh yeah, and porta-john swamps at music festivals.

2 Likes

Did you riot at Woodstock 2?

1 Like

No. I was only 30 miles away and it wasn’t far enough.

By the time that happened, I was so tired of the rapey white hat frat bros that there was no way I was getting near a Limp Bizkit crowd.

1 Like

I’ll always fondly remember the local club that would let anyone in for no cover on Skirt Night. All you had to do was wear a skirt. On your head, over your trousers, whatever. The artsy rock guys who I mistakenly regarded as kin back then were so hidebound and boring under their thin veneer of cliched coolness that literally none of them would go to Skirt Night with me. Even though I offered to lend them something from my collection.

Feh. What a buncha’ losers.

3 Likes

A discussion on Lemmy reminded me of the Steve Jackson game Illuminati, which was incredibly fun and which they then ruined by turning it into a game like Magic where you had to buy trading cards rather than a self-contained game with a set card deck.

There was a sort of spinoff/sequel with a similar concept but in a different genre they did called Hacker, which was also a lot of fun and had a great expansion set too.

1 Like

7/10ths of housekeeping-related anxiety would just go away if there was only a law saying “lifestyle” photographers have to show you every damn cord in the house when they’re a-marketing stuff. Or at least, it would be removed from us and dumped onto the photographers, which is only right.

1 Like

Continuing my chat from the 1970s and 1980s threads on video arcades, arcades continued to flourish at least during the first half of the 1990s due to a certain game and a whole genre. That was…the fighting game!

Street_Fighter_II_(arcade)_screenshot

I remember how big Street Fighter II and its many upgrades (Champion Edition, Turbo, etc.) were. I was at the North Carolina State Fair in 1993 and there was an arcade set up. I could NOT get anywhere near the Street Fighter II machine or another one which I’m about to discuss because so many kids were playing the game. (It wasn’t a total loss as I spent the afternoon playing the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom arcade game which had 30+ credits on it!) The other fighting game that was popular?

Mortal_Kombat

Mortal Kombat! We had the Sega Genesis port and loved it! We also played the sequel Mortal Kombat 2 which had more characters and was even better. I also remember the backlash from angry parents and the US government over this game.

This kept arcade in business…for a while anyway. Soon, everyone and their grandmother started making fighting games leading to a saturated market.

IMHO the arcade declined during 1996 onwards because of the advent of the more powerful consoles like the Sony Playstation, etc. Those were more powerful than arcade games; it wasn’t like the day of Atari and NES when those arcade ports didn’t look much like their counterparts.

5 Likes

The only 90s fighting game I ever really enjoyed playing was Primal Rage. It helps that I’m a big clay animation fan.

But mainly, in general, I either wasn’t dexterous to do the needed special moves to remain competitive or I just couldn’t remember them.

3 Likes