The Bridget and Mary Jo Appreciation Thread

A film noir take on “Crime and Punishment”, with a young Darren McGavin and Chris Pine’s grandmother in the cast? That’s gold baby, gold!

3 Likes

Ah-WOO-Gah! The Teenager’s movie Vacation Days is FREE on YouTube!

Anyone up for a watch-a-long?! :carousel_horse:

[ETA - Mary Jo’s “OOF!” at the end of the movie is kind of the riff to end all riffs.]

[I had never heard of this series before RT and it’s really easy to see why cinema history tried to expunge it from the record books forever.

[Dodie is seriously always one step away from vengefully cooking some poor married dude’s child’s bunny rabbit.]

8 Likes

[groan] I’m never gonna’ get that damn “The Teen Canteen” song out of my head, am I?

:scream_cat: I kept hoping that a grease monkey with a ukulele would show up to salvage the “spiritual” number. (Followed shortly thereafter by a giant man-eating reptile.)

3 Likes

New short from the ladies. Pair it up with Rollergator for a wholesome night of wholesome entertainment.

2 Likes

No. Nooo. Nooooooooooooo!

1 Like

Sounds like the bride from the Marriage Is A Partnership short. I can’t tell whether that last weird cloying “Oooohhh” is from her or our riffers. Either way… jeez. I could not sit through a bridge party listening to either this yahoo or her over-controlling jerk of a Mama’s Boy husband. Not without at least three Whiskey Sours, anyway.

Lady Rifftrax went a lot easier on this saccharine ode to being your husband’s eternal doormat than I would’ve. Along with all the 1950s-based yuck that you’d expect, there’s the fact that the narrator keeps explaining that she and Prince Jerkface worked their money issues and sexual issues and the rest out successfully. But there’s never the slightest detail as to specifics. Maybe there was some kind of supplemental reading you had to do when you crowded into the church basement to watch this with all the other increasingly disappointed brides who also wished they’d waited a white longer. :upside_down_face:

Best riff: going to see Gone Girl On Ice while wincing through a plate of liver. I’m telling you right now that if liver had entered the picture, my own marriage wouldn’t even have happened. (We shacked up together first.)

1 Like

May I ask what you’re talking about?

1 Like

The Marriage Is A Partnership short on RT.

1 Like

The new short, all about sewing, is completely unrealistic. I know that when I sew, there’s a good deal of swearing involved.

3 Likes

New feature length 'Trax - gives us something to watch this Friday with it being an off-week for MST

This went directly onto my to-buy list. It looks like it’s super fun. I can’t wait!

2 Likes

I got the email, read the description, and prayed, ‘Oh, please be a movie and not a short, please oh please oh please!’

My prayer was answered. I know what I’m doing tonight!

3 Likes

Oh man that was funny - the perfect release for the season, with plenty of witchy riffs and such. I was in stitches. (It’s shaping up to be a good month in riffing - B&MJ, The Mads, a new Janet & Cole, a short and an upcoming 3D movie from MST)

On a sad trivia note: Ruth Ford is in the cast, she was the first person to call 911 to report shots fired at The Dakota the night John Lennon was murdered

A new short from the ladies, and the dicount code works for it. (HEROES22)

The three Rs, didn’t Frank recommend that during a Livestream :wink: (if you didn’t catch that show, there’s movie on Netflix titled “RRR”)

1 Like

Tonight I watched Before I Die, one of the Mary Higgins Clark’s movies that B & MJ have riffed. There were some good riffs in it, but this is one of those convoluted MHG stories that I just give up trying to even follow after a while.

I must say I was a little disappointed by B & MJ in one regard. In the opening credits there is a “and Lloyd Bochner” credit at the end of the main cast list. MJ says, “Special guest appearance by a nobody who hoped the “and” credit would make him somebody”. I was aghast!

Lloyd Bochner, while not a household name, was far from nobody. He worked regularly in TV since 1949 and this 2003 movie was his second to final acting job. He was in everything – Gunsmoke, Bewitched, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (with you know who), both The Man and The Girl From U.N.C.L.E., both Perry Mason and The New Perry Mason, McCloud, Columbo, Dynasty, etc. He was even in The Twilight Zone in a little episode called “To Serve Man”. It just really surprised me to see them take a totally uncalled for swipe at this veteran actor. Frank definitely would have known who he was.

2 Likes

Very surprising that they wouldn’t know who Lloyd Bochner is.

1 Like

Who’s Lloyd Bochner?

Seriously though, if you just said the name, I’d have no clue who he was either. Kind of like Jonah’s Halloween costume… who? Then I searched and, oh yeah, I know who he is.

3 Likes

This season in particular, I’ve learned that there as so many prolific movie people who mean the world to B-Movie film buffs, and who’d never registered in my brain previously.

4 Likes

That’s just it. Let’s say they had this good riff written and were set to use it. Nowadays it is easy to look up a name and see if what you are about to say is actually appropriate. I would argue that calling an actor with over 50 years worth of TV and film roles to his credit a “nobody” was not. So what could have been a good riff in another situation/movie just ended up (for me) making MJ look either uninformed or worse, mean. And I know she is not either of those things.

1 Like

I don’t think there was any malice in it. It’s a cute line, but they probably should have saved it for a later movie and a lesser actor.

I do agree that every writing staff should have a Frank on board, because it is funnier or a happier occurrence when they know the names you know and love (I’ll include Trace in that, because he too will show affection for actors that might not be as commonly known).

I recall wishing B&MJ had showed some excitement when Anthony Mann’s credit popped up on Strange Impersonation, but I figured they probably didn’t watch Mann’s westerns or noirs. I could see the Mads saying something, Hey’s it’s Anthony Mann… ah, too bad it’s not The Naked Spur.

But I respect where you’re coming from. I was disappointed during The Shape of Things to Come, when they didn’t acknowledge Anne Marie Martin (even simply referring to her as Dori Doreau, the way they referred to other actors by past roles (The Paper Chase guy, Lovejoy) would have sufficed) - and all Carol Lynley got were comments about her shoes and hair… but at least they didn’t call them nobodies, which would have stung this old timer who grew up watching Lynley in the 60s and early 70s, and was a fan of Sledge Hammer.

3 Likes