The Bridget and Mary Jo Appreciation Thread

A Word to the Wives with Darren McGavin being Darren McGavin is my pick on the shorts side. Gold.

10 Likes

That vexes me too. I just rewatched all four earlier this week, and my obsessiveness made me arrange them in seasonal order starting with Summer. But this isn’t their original riffing order. Such things makes life as an anal-retentive all the harder.

@JakeGittes gave a good explanation, to which I’d add that Richard Carlson is in loads of stuff but is never quite a top-of-marquee kind of actor. So the running riff also adds that kind of self-deprecatory thing of having to remind you “hey, I’m an actor who has been in real movies”. And he’s been in a LOT of movies. :laughing:

6 Likes

First laugh of the day.

Legit.

4 Likes

[bows] A real devotee would’ve looked up the characters’ names, but I was busy getting dinner together.

4 Likes

Nope. Too busy thinking about the Horrors on Spider Island.

There are several.

7 Likes

Anything with Bridget and Mary Jo is an istabuy for me. I really love The Teen Agers series and I hope they do them all eventually.

8 Likes

This guy:

7 Likes

I’ve had that one since RT dropped it, but been too scared to watch it. :cold_sweat:

3 Likes

Look at him, sitting there all alone, looking morose and emo with his black eye, and no tea. If anyone could use a cup of Mary Jo and Bridget it’s that guy.

Cheer up li’l fella, help is on the way.

I had the utmost confidence in B&MJ and they did not disappoint - fear not, the movie doesn’t best them.

8 Likes

Farm Family is like snacks; once you start, you may as well finish the lot.

8 Likes

One word: Tupperware

8 Likes

For the MJ&B shorts I especially like Maturing Women (with the self-insertions at the end) and Girls Are Better Than Ever. Of course they also shine when skewering those “women should know their place” pieces like Duties of a Secretary and Beauty and the Bride, too. Anger can be funny when it’s righteous.

6 Likes

The Decoupage-Your-Fridge one is also amazing, though you could argue that it’s so ridiculous it almost riffs itself.

I’d stake my life on literally no one ever deciding to try what the short suggested.

5 Likes

Batik!

6 Likes

I had a batik sarong I would wear around the house. Comfortable as all get-out. A shame I don’t have the sexy legs to really rock it, however.

6 Likes

“Remember…” - “When you drank a bottle of Kirkland Vodka and passed out at the bus station?” - Narrator/Bridget

And it all began on June 12, 2015, with this 20 minute short where they shatter the suburban ideal.

Life in the Suburbs (Bridget Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl) | RiffTrax

7 Likes

i would like more of this dynamic since Matthew is contributor to some of their titles

:

5 Likes

I don’t know what it is, but I can never understand a word that Matthew or Ian say.

And I’ve been to Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand and never had a problem*, but those two, I just can’t understand.

*Except for that one guy in Scotland

3 Likes

Subtitles, as wrong as they can get (honestly can someone start a screenshot thread of the subtitles being laughably wrong?) are incredibly helpful for those titles.

4 Likes

Speaking of wrong subtitles…

Charlie has the captions embedded on the screen, and sometimes they don’t match what’s being spoken by the actors, which makes for a good laugh (and yeah, what the hell is a caliba? :laughing:)

5 Likes