The Bridget and Mary Jo Appreciation Thread

I dig them too overall, especially with B&MJ at the helm. Vacation Days has a bit too much singing, and a bit too few of the secondary characters, but they are still fun films.

5 Likes

There were some good riffs in Teenage Space Vampires. I do think however that Canada and Romania should be prohibited from ever partnering on a movie again. There was so much terrible acting, sub-par CGI, and incomprehensible accents that it may as well had been Space Birdemic.

5 Likes

[searches Kickstarter for “Space Birdemic”]

7 Likes

Mary Jo’s comment about hugging got me chuckling, maybe more than it would have a week ago.

While Teenage Romanian Canadian Space Vampires wouldn’t crack my Top 10 for the ladies, it was still funny.

2 Likes

A new short from Bridget & Mary Jo:

6 Likes

I just now bought it, and it was on sale, so I saved a dime. lol

3 Likes

Something new for the holidays - and it’s DOUBLE the Higgins Clark!

3 Likes

Always a welcome addition. Though every time I watch these, I have to wonder who they are made for. Are there people who truly enjoy such anodyne fare?

It didn’t end the way I expected - I thought it was all a miracle-cum-dream that happened while he was merely unconscious. I was surprised to see him and the angel apparently be beamed back to the Enterprise instead.

6 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know who the fanbase is - as a mystery reader, I do remember trying an early novel ages ago, and it not doing anything for me.

However, as riffed movies, they are more watchable than the “Of The Bride” series. Which are made funny, sure, but the flicks are like a trip to the dentist. Whereas I look forward to the Higgins Clark movies, they are a good fit for the ladies. Maybe as good as Sherlock Holmes?

All 3 MHC releases have been funny as all get out.

4 Likes

Very much agreed. When I see a MHC title pop up there, it’s an instant purchase. I’ve so far managed to avoid giving in and getting the Bride movies. Every time I watch the trailers I decide I can’t take 90 minutes of the movie.

4 Likes

I watched this a few days ago, and I think it’s the funniest one yet. I laughed SO hard.

Definitely going into the heavy rotation.

5 Likes

I’d pay money to see Bridget and Mary Jo riff the Blondie movies, though maybe they aren’t cheesy enough.

6 Likes

The Blondie movies would be right in their wheelhouse, and there are a bunch of them.

5 Likes

The Blondie movies share a milieu with the Teen-Agers movies as well, so could easily sit alongside those in the catalogue. They haven’t finished that series yet, but I suspect they are in no hurry to get back to them soon, if ever.

5 Likes

Someone asked Bridget about additional Teen-Agers movies on a Mads livestream and it sounded like it was mostly an issue of getting decent prints. I’d love to see the one with Alan Hale Jr. in it (Sarge Goes to College) if nothing else.

4 Likes

I recall Bridget saying, on a Mads show I think, that they were having trouble finding a good print of the one they haven’t done.

4 Likes

Hey, I watched the 2018 Rifftrax Yule Log today and they played some snippets of Bridget and Mary Jo riffing on something I didn’t recognize. One looked like a gift exchange and the other was a family eating dinner. Both were B&W and looked fairly old.

Does anyone know what they are? The snippets were really funny and I’d like to see the whole thing.

3 Likes

The gift exchange is part of the Second Annual Bridget and Mary Jo Christmas Special. I’m not sure where the dinner is from off the top of my head, it’s been a year since I watched the Yule Log.

5 Likes

Thanks for clearing up one of them!

3 Likes

Last night’s holiday viewing: Beyond Christmas

What I learned this time around: The dynamic male lead (Richard “Tom Stewart” Carlson as crooning Texan James Houston) sings a pretty decent rendition of “I Dream of Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair,” which made me realize that no matter who sings it or how well I’m going to hear either Bugs Bunny (“she’s a light brown hare”) or Eugene Levy in my head.

8 Likes