The Classic episode rewards availability

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I’m wondering about where they’ll actually be available for the moment. They talked about having them (hopefully) up for Christmas, but with the Gizmoplex still a ways off I’m not sure -where- they’ll actually be showing up. If anyone’s got any info, I’d love to hear it!

9 Likes

The video hosting portion of the Gizmoplex is being handled by Vimeo/VHX, so I’m assuming they’ll be hosted there for viewing/downloading. Only 1 week to go if things stay on schedule!

6 Likes

I plan to download the episodes. 1 so I always have control of them and 2 because I have a PLEX I plan to load them on. Has anyone tried downloading from VHX? (I don’t currently have an account, which I assume I will need to set up somehow) Is it a simple process to download episodes? If you’ve done this, how long does it take?

4 Likes

It’s very simple. Just click the episode you want to download to go to the player. Under the play scree is a button that says “Video Downloads”. Pick the video quality/size you want and download away. How long it takes will depend on your internet connection. The file sizes for this particular episode are: 692MB for 540p or 420MB for 360p

4 Likes

Thanks all! Much obliged! Think I’ll go buy myself an external hard drive tomorrow, did the ‘shut up and take my money!’ option and picked up every ep I could.

5 Likes

Forgive me for being a little tech illiterate here, this isn’t my area of computer expertise. But does this mean that we’ll be able to actually store the video files on our device/on external storage? As opposed to downloading them on a streaming platform like you can do with Netflix?

4 Likes

Correct. You can download these episodes and watch them on your phone/tablet/laptop as independent files or add them to your home streaming setup or whatever works for you.

2 Likes

Oh that’s excellent, I was really hoping that would be the case for the KS rewards. I so much prefer that to having to keep them on a streaming platform lol

3 Likes

I do hope it won’t come back to bite them, though. I know we were always encouraged to circulate the tapes, but…

2 Likes

That’s a legitimate concern, but I feel very confident it won’t be a problem. RiffTrax proved this model works, having been at it for well over a decade now. I imagine there will always be a contingent of people who acquire episodes from unsanctioned sources, but – at least for MST and RT – the vast majority of us want the creators to be compensated and we know that’s where our money will go.

I think DRM is awful all around, just more security theater. It prevents only the very lowest-hanging fruit of piracy. I can’t overstate the positive effects of the DRM-free movement for me; it shows goodwill and respect, and that goes a long way.

7 Likes

Same, I downloaded all my VHX episodes of both MST3K and The Aquabats so that I can play them through my Synology NAS. I also have VHX on my Roku but it regularly forgets my password and it’s too much trouble to keep logging back in to watch stuff.

yep, we have the same NAS setup, and PLEX is just the best thing ever. I have a lot of TV show DVD sets, so the fact I can have all of that on drives and keep the discs protected in sleeves and out of the way is a godsend.

5 Likes

You also then have a backup of the DVD, and I have had DVDs that simply sat in their cases for years that when played had read errors that were not there before.

2 Likes

Most often a result of bit rot, and less frequently cosmic ray damage. Digital media formats are more susceptible to loss and corruption over shorter time periods than many analogue media.

2 Likes

Heat and UV are also common culprits re:CD/DVD issues.

Had a customer who kept his blank writable disks on a window ledge… for a year… was angry that his new (1yr old) writer wasn’t burning disks properly anymore… :thinking:

sigh.

2 Likes

So are people already receiving they’re downloadable eps? I thought I’d pledged for some but haven’t gotten them yet. Maybe I need to go back and double check what my pledge rewards were….

1 Like

Not from this KS campaign, no—VHX has been the delivery vehicle for past campaigns too, so we’ve been through the stream/download process before.

4 Likes

DRM only keeps the honest people from using their legitimately purchased/rented/whatever media.

I support MST and RT. I want to pay them for their work. And I appreciate being able to use the media without issue on my various devices.

5 Likes

Hi, I was wondering if you knew if older VHX MST3K Collections could be seen on Vimeo? I have been trying to link the two so I can watch m,y older collection on my Nvidia Shield (only has Vimeo, not VHX), but no dice so far. Thank in advance! I’ll keep trying.

2 Likes

I don’t, unfortunately. The only times I’ve ever used VHX were to download my episodes from the previous campaigns.

2 Likes