The Coleman Francis Memorial Coffee Thread

Indeed, they do! I may post a picture of mine later. It’s a manual stove-top pot though. I used to own four vacuum pots (including an automatic), but I thinned my collection to just the one as my primary interests in using my available space changed.

1 Like

My newest coffee obsession is Trader Joe’s instant cold brew. I use it with Chobani vanilla oat milk creamer. It’s delicious!

I am very, very, inordinately fond of coffee.

I have a soft spot in particular for Burundi, and there are some wonderful Ethiopian blends out there (Yirgachiffe is amazing for it’s blueberry-esque flavor!). Those are my go-to hot coffees, perfect for winter, though the past couple of years I’ve gone all-in on cold brew, after having phases of mocha and latte obsession. Now that I’ve gone cold brew I can’t really get into lattes and the like as I once did. When I need decaf (I try to cut myself off after 2 PM) I typically order a decaf Americano.

Brand-wise, I buy from a few local roasters in southern Ohio who ethically source and beautifully roast some incredible beans: Silver Bridge Coffee, River Roasters Coffee Company, and Roosevelt Coffee Roasters. And a special shoutout to Dean’s Beans; not only do they supply to one of my favorite coffee shops of all time (Donkey Coffee & Espresso in Athens, Ohio) but after checking out the merch table at a recent Weird Al concert, I discovered that they also supply Weird Al’s own brand, Jackson Park Espresso! They have a major focus on fair trade which I’ve appreciated along with their quality.

And speaking of celebrity-branded coffee…David Lynch Coffee makes for a damn fine cup, as one would expect!

2 Likes

Next he needs to come out with a line of pies called Damn Fine Pie.

1 Like

I have an order arriving (hopefully) tomorrow - all green beans for home roasting.
Ethiopian Sidamo, Indian Monsooned Malabar AA, Indonesia U Tani Gayo and Papua New Guinea Lamari.

1 Like

I wish I could find videos of Paul F Tompkins as the King of Coffee but here’s him singing the Workjuice anthem with other comedy luminaries.

How do you take it?
When do you take it?
Where do you take it?
Or do you in fact, just not take it at all?

It’s hard hitting questions like this that once made me a world renowned reporter

(in my own mind)

1 Like

Personally I usually prefer some kind of chocolate or mocha, maybe something like a carmel machioto creamer… always splice with some actual milk.

If I’m feeling sugared out I just do milk, once in a while I enjoy a cooled cup of black coffee.

Starbucks is amazing but don’t go often because I’m cheap, but I do drink the canned gas-station stuff from starbucks. Even the coffee in the bottles is really good and only contains milk, mocha, and starbucks coffee. Just finally tried it the other day after seeing the ingredients and it was a nice break from the can coffee meats energy drink stuff.

Never had Dunkins…

1 Like

I used to have an out-of-control coffee habit. CRAZY out-of-control.

But I was all about a French Vanilla roast, black.

FUN FACT: I used to have a penchant for dipping large pretzels into that coffee as part of a ritual or habit while watching new Sci-Fi era episodes of MST3K.

If I was to get coffee from some other place? Dunkin’ Donuts, easily. Their stuff was magic.

Diner coffee was something fantastic, too. Pure rocket fuel.

Like I think the worst I was with coffee was in my late teens. I’d drink like two pots a day to myself, now usually I’ll have a half pot to a full pot some days, but a lot of days I’ll just do a couple energy drinks(although I usually lean towards the coffee ones).

french vanilla is a classic though, can’t go wrong with that.

1 Like

I started off on sugary half-caf concoctions like your average college coed. (I shudder at these now.)

An unexpectedly happy side effect of gallbladder removal is that I can now drink copious amounts of straight black unflavored coffee. I’m a particular fan of zippy light roasts, and lately I’ve been buying my beans from Caribou.

At home, I’ve tried pour-over, French press, and my parents’ percolator from 1974, but I just stick to my trusty drip machine. I also have a little Nespresso machine when I feel like being Continental. :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

I hovered around 1.5 to 2 pots a day, yeah.

Gave it up cold turkey after yeeeeeeeeeears, though. Health reasons (I’m fine). But holy hell, the comedown was BRUTAL.

2 Likes
1 Like

Wait. Not trying to be rude or anything, but don’t we already have a similar kind of topic like this?

EDIT as of just a minute ago: Huh.

Another job well done!

2 Likes

M’bad, I didn’t know that topic existed, and strangely my delivery was vague enough I didn’t get a prompt there was a similar thread.

Not rude at all, slightly disappointing because I thought I some how had an original topic idea that some how got glazed over, but if there’s already a topic for coffee then there doesn’t need to be another!

2 Likes

Yeah I was about 15 when I started drinking coffee and yeah that sounds a lot like how I used to drink it -shivers- but thanksfully I got over that by my 20’s.

Nice gear.

All I got is a electric grinder, and than I’ve been getting Pike Place starbucks whole bean.
Through just a regular old 20-30 bucks coffee maker.

1 Like

I’ve never completely gave up caffeine or coffee, although in my 30’s now and I’ve thought about because I’ve got slightly high BP anyways, but I noticed I tend to be more aggro and moody days I drink a lot of caffeine which I think is a sign it’s helping my BP spike.

2 Likes

Nothing tops this strange celebrity coffee commercial.

1 Like

I remembered to bring second coffee to work with me today. The last of my Peppermint Stick coffee.

Which should be hitting the shelves again in a few weeks!!

1 Like