The Crimes Of Grindenwald

So my girlfriend has somehow talked me into watching The Crimes Of Grindenwald with her and her son, and every time someone in the film mentions the name of the character Creedence, I keep humming the opening bars of “Bad Moon Rising.”

It’s starting to annoy her, but I can’t help it; I just keep thinking it’s something Servo would do.

30 minutes in and I’m also thinking this film should have been called “The Crimes Of Exposition.”

8 Likes

Well, I mean, mix it up a bit. “Lookin’ Out My Back Door”, “Fortunate Son”, “Who’ll Stop The Rain” and so many more fabulous hits available for only $12.99 (+S&H)…wait, what were we talking about?

10 Likes

Lol. I suppose that would add more variety to the riff. CCR does have a huge catalog to choose from.

3 Likes

As long as it wasn’t “Lodi.” Ronnie Hawkins already has that covered.

3 Likes

Even aside from all the drama surrounding JKR herself, the Fantastic Beasts stuff just totally lost my interest. I was going “umm, really?” when they were just releasing teaser info for the first one and never saw it (wait – I might have been subjected to it as an inflight movie…). Nothing afterwards has done anything to change my opinion.

3 Likes

I actually liked it.

2 Likes

[reads one paragraph of film’s summary]

[sighs]

These character names make me feel considerably less embarrassed about my fondness for The Legion Of Superheroes.

4 Likes

OK, I’ll dive in here.

I skipped the first Fantastic Beasts movie (Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them) in theaters, but watched it on demand on my DVR at some point in 2017. I didn’t think it was bad. It wasn’t great, but it worked as a B-movie and left enough loose ends that a sequel seemed feasible. When a friend suggested we go see The Crimes Of Grindelwald in a theater, I was willing to do it.

The Crimes Of Grindelwald turned out to be such complete garbage that it basically killed any remaining affection I had for what had been my favorite book series at one point in my life (I was probably in fifth grade, but still). The drama surrounding JK Rowling didn’t help either, of course.

I have absolutely no interest in The Secrets Of Dumbledore. I’m still peeved that Fantastic Beasts is apparently going to be five movies while the 2017 Power Rangers reboot movie flopped miserably.

Yes, I grew up in the 90s watching Power Rangers and its related shows and I actually liked that 2017 movie. I’m not saying it was worthy of Oscars or in the upper echelon of superhero movies (it was neither), but it deserved four sequels a lot more then Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them did.

5 Likes

I saw a rumor, but did not attempt to substantiate it, that WB had actually decided to stop after Secrets.

1 Like

I’ll only watch it if someone makes me a version where it’s only Mads Mikkelsen’s scenes :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

This might be getting off the topic, but Mads just isn’t my cuppa? Not that I thought Johnny Depp was a great casting choice either (even aside from all the drama that now surrounds him). I don’t know what I had in my head for Grindelwald but it wasn’t that.

2 Likes

It’s hard to restrain ones self…

2 Likes

Supposedly, WB hasn’t decided either way. If that’s true, I assume that they’re waiting to see how it does on HBO Max.

But either way…I’m with Aaron. I liked (didn’t love) the first Fantastic Beasts and thought it had some potential in future installments, and then Crimes was easily the worst tentpole movie I’ve ever seen. Now I’ve got no interest in seeing the third and that’s before you consider Rowling or Ezra Miller being… problematic, to put it diplomatically.

3 Likes