The Eggcream Theory

I suspect that the Squirm guy made a big deal about eggcreams because the screenwriter was trying to drive home just how “not from around here” that fellow was.

That’s my thesis. Let the peer review begin!

6 Likes

… Yeah, Crow.

2 Likes

I see. I see.

1 Like

Yeah. Especially given that prior to the 90’s no one outside the five boroughs had even heard that term before he comes off as an exceptional jerk for laughing at the residents of this rural town several states away for being unfamiliar with such a specifically regional beverage.

4 Likes

Shut up, Iris.

1 Like

Well, it didn’t work. What personality he had was completely generic. I doubt it was the actor’s fault. He didn’t get a lot to work with.

Egg creams are good, though. (No worms in mine thanks. I’m a vegetarian.)

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m a bad peer.

1 Like

I think the script originally called for him to order a “bagel with a schmear”, but they had to change the dialogue when they finally got on location and could not find a bagel anywhere within a 100 mile radius.

4 Likes

“That one o them hard donuts you find up in Yankee territory?”

2 Likes

:thinking: Did he laugh? I don’t think he ever evinced that much emotion at any point in the film, but my memory isn’t what it used to be.

Maybe some people elsewhere in the U.S. would’ve at least heard the drink referenced in a movie or on TV. Or encountered it on a vacation? That would’ve made the scene much better, really. He starts to explain it to the server and she cuts him off by handing him the drink while mentioning her Uncle Irving from Queens. :smiley:

In fact, even in the Nineties it was more an old-school drink, which young people in your average NYC deli would’ve been less into than their dad or granddad. I think @ItsJustAShow mentioned that when they reviewed Squirm as well.

3 Likes

No, he didn’t laugh. If anything, he got flirty with the waitress over it, which probably was what got the cop upset at him in the first place.

2 Likes

I think I still want to try an Egg Cream someday.

5 Likes

Not quite laugh, more got “mockingly derisive”

2 Likes

See, I really don’t think he was being derisive. He was acting flirty to me. And that’s why the cop gets on him because it turns out he’s sleeping with the waitress.

4 Likes

@Greengreatlabcoat @FlyingSquid

Too many hot-button issues on this board these days. Getting tougher and tougher to keep to the Just Relax Doctrine.

@ArtCrow You should. Just make sure the syrup is of good quality. Even if you have to make your own.

3 Likes

I never saw it as flirty, but I guess that’s on me. I always saw him as being uppity.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m just really bad at recognizing cues.

3 Likes

The one in the middle is Stanley.

6 Likes

My biggest pet peeve with this movie is that we never even see a single antique! I mean, unless the chest the kid sister hid in would count. But… nah. If it wasn’t part of Mr. Beardsley’s stash then no way! [grumble]

5 Likes

I know right? That’s his whole motivation… or pretense of motivation… and no he not once actually goes antiquing!

3 Likes