The Extended World of Pillars vs Pillers

Looks like a big night in for the Captain

1 Like

Meanwhile,…

9 Likes

Typolad at LiveJournal used to catalog these magical comics moments. But I don’t know if the images are still viewable, though the posts are still there. :frowning:

Yeah, seems like the images have been scrubbed. Guess someone pulled a major boner somewhere.

1 Like

There’s still a lot of them at superdickery.com

1 Like

Worth a look, for anyone who hasn’t seen it. See this video at 1:17:39:

2 Likes

Maybe the ears in some regions hear uh when ah is said. Regional hearalects!

2 Likes

Oh, NOW I hear it. Tom’s Joke makes 1000% more sense now.

Also, gotta add this to my list to re-watch…

4 Likes

You have the added very English problem of class here as well. Everyone in my family is in the ass category, while a lot of the more “well-to-do” folks are very much arses. I’ll leave whether those are intentional innuendos to the reader’s discretion! :wink:

I am, sorry to say, the son of a wash is pronounced “warsh” father. (real world example here: A Visit to Santa) Not sure where this came from—I don’t recall anyone else in my family saying it that way.

1 Like

The UK has had a weird thing going on for the last 20-30 years - there’s a whole lot of people trying to move up in the world, and there’s a whole lot of people trying to portray themselves as blue collar “salt of the earth” types. And the overlap on that Venn diagram is much larger than anyone might think. It is a neurosis that defies logic.
What’s left of the real working class and what’s left of the real old-money aristocracy tend to get along pretty well because neither hides behind a facade.
In between, you have a whole lot of people who feel guilt about their (perfectly correct) ambition to better their lot, so they pretend to be more working class than they are. It seems to salve their conscience in some warped and unnecessary way.
It actually just makes them insecure, miserable, and uncomfortable in any company other than fellow pretenders, which reinforces the facade.

3 Likes

The Mort Walker-Dik Browne zombie empire used to turn out a comic strip called Boner’s Ark. It was around for awhile. :thinking:

1 Like

You gotta love how this isn’t even a career ending problem for the Joker

2 Likes

The Pin-Pen Merger! I love learning about the changes in the way people speak. There was a really good documentary that Robert MacNeil did on PBS years ago called “Do You Speak American?” that was about the different speech patterns in language in this country and things like this and the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, where some don’t have a distinction in pronouncing bus and boss. Definitely still worth a watch and I’d love to see someone update it for 2021.

I’ve never had the slightest desire to eat a corndog. Just one of many reasons that I fail at being an American.

2 Likes

Thread necromancy!

Karaoke update: Both Mike and Bridget have used the word in recent RiffTrax releases, both still pronounce it “kuh-RO-kee.” Must be a Minnesota thing.

4 Likes

My mother-in-law says “worsh” instead of “wash,” which is an Indiana thing. There’s also “Worshington” Indiana.

2 Likes

My father as well, but from southern WV. Pretty sure his father pronounced it that way, too, but can’t recall anyone else in my family doing it.

2 Likes