The Faces Selling Stuff

Who sold themselves better than the rest? Ron Popeil, Mike Lindell, Emeril Lagasse, Bill Mays, Richard Simmons, Jane Fonda, Chuck Norris, Suzanne Sommers, William Devane, Wilfred Brimley, Alex Trebek, Pat Boone, Dan Marino, George Forman, Rob Lowe, Susan Powter, Vanessa Williams. Any one impress you? Scare you? And what about the product?

2 Likes

This guy.

But you only saw him if you lived in Indiana.

1 Like

in all seriousness, When I close my eyes, I can still hear the jingles for Cal Worthington. And I never lived near one of his dealerships.

2 Likes

Speaking of Indiana.

1 Like

You forgot about Tom Selleck pushing reverse mortgages on retirees on the oldies cable channel

1 Like

At alchemists everywhere!

5 Likes

While we’re on old SNL.

3 Likes

Bob is supposedly a real dickweed.

2 Likes

I wish I could post my favorite SNL commercial but “Bathroom Monkey” is scrubbed from the internets. :frowning:

1 Like

But what a character on camera.

1 Like

I swear I saw one years ago, of a car that was the high of luxury on the inside, but the exterior looked like a complete beater with mismatched body parts, rusting all over, and messed up hubcaps. So you could have a world class ride, without getting it stolen in bad neighborhoods.

Maybe it wasn’t on SNL, but I was sure Phil Hartman did the VO for it.
But as Phil is a legend…

4 Likes

I also remember that car commercial! I’m pretty confident that was SNL

1 Like

This is directly related to the Bass-O-Matic also from SNL.

1 Like

Cal Worthington and his dog Spot wants y’all to get off his damn lawn.

Note: He was making these commercials from the late 60’s all the way up through 2011 at age 92. (At a certain point, they made him give up his tiger.) If you ever need someone to prove their California citizenship, just start humming the “Go See Cal” jingle and see what happens.

3 Likes

I grew up in SoCal and I still sing these commercials to people who have never heard them.

I’m sad nobody from SoCal has ever posted a video of Chick Hearn saying “Don’t miss the boat… show!”

1 Like

HI, BILLY MAYS HERE FOR ALL CAPS

and complete sentences

2 Likes

The Chameleon XLE!

1 Like

To my knowledge, only Ron Popeil became the subject of a Weird Al song – which in my mind automatically puts him at the head of the pack.

weird_al_yankovic

2 Likes

THANK YOU!

Happy Phil Hartman GIF

3 Likes

A third helping of Rohrman.

1 Like