The Giant Monster Movie Fanclub

So my love affair with MST3K comes, in truth, from my love affair with giant monsters that started when I was two, and sneaked a peek of King Kong fighting the TRex well after my bed time. Since then I’ve been borderline obsessed with Dinosaurs, Dragons and Giant Monsters of all kinds. This search for cheesy sci fi led, of course, to a guy and two robots who made fun of them.

So I unironically enjoy just about any movie that features a giant beastie chowing down on people or knocking over buildings. And while there are actual good films in the genre (Gojira, Them!, the 90s Gamera Trilogy (really!), Pacific Rim, Shin Godzilla), I make no apologies for the fact that around 90% of these films belong with a shadow box silhouette of said two robots and a guy. So I thought it would be fun to dedicate a thread to the DaiKaiju of the world, whether serious drama or, more likely, riffable silliness.

So Id like to start this thread off with some Monster Movies that Must be Mocked!

When the Return kicked off with Reptillicus I was overjoyed, as I had literally listed it earlier that year as one of the “Wish I saw it in MST3K” films. But there are several more that have yet to be graced with a Rifftrax or a MST3K, and here’s a couple!

THE GIANT CLAW: This is my number one Bad Monster Movie That Needs To Be Riffed now that Reptillicus has been done. If you’ve never seen this giant ugly turkey, you really don’t know what you’re missing.

THE GIANT BEHEMOUTH: This one is pretty dull but I’m pretty convinced it could be made funny with Rifftrax.

GAMERA SUPER MONSTER: So you know how silly Gamera movies are? You have no idea. You are not even prepared. Yeah this is 60% stock footage from already bad Gamera films, but the stuff in between is special.

GODZILLA VS SPACE GODZILLA: I make no apologies for loving Godzilla movies. But of them all, with the possible exception of Godzilla’s Revenge, this is the worst, with the most laughable effects of the serie.

VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE: This is a Godzilla related film where they just didn’t care.

SO! Who else loves Giant Monster Films?

14 Likes

Yay, someone else who appreciates that undersung Gamera trilogy! They really are well made kaiju films with a good stories, particularly Revenge of Iris.

One of my favorite and comparatively obscure kaiju series are the Daimajin films. Made by the same studio as the original Gamera films, these period kaiju films center on a giant warrior with a spike in his head. Clearly drawn from some ancient legend, they are truly bizarre to the Western viewer. Yet good films all the same.

4 Likes

I mean, it’s not a bad movie to be mocked, but THEM! always struck me as a little hilarious because…well…ants. I have to try very hard to be afraid of ants!

Speaking of which…Night of the Lepus. Over and out. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Ah a fellow Kaiju nerd! Welcome! I actually think Gamera 3 is the weakest due to the human villains, but Gamera 2, IMO, in the pinnacle of Kaiju Fighting Filmmaking. Such an incredible film.

Daimaijin is a fantastic trilogy of films, one of my favorites, For some real laughs, check out Pulgasari. That was made (darkly and under force of threat) in North Korea, and it’s pretty much a twisted copy of the Daimajin films - and really really stupid. It’s a very interesting niche film.

5 Likes

The only reason you’re not afraid of Ants is because you haven’t thought about it hard enough. :wink:

Them is great, especially the introductory mystery in the desert. The atmosphere is absolutely perfect and the sound of Them! haunts my nightmares.

Night of the Lepus, however, is fantastically silly. Rifftrax did a riff on it that was great.

2 Likes

Yes, the Legion film is superb as well. I think I have a fondness for the third due to the development of the titular Iris. And very cool that you are also into Daimajin! (I always want to write that as Daimaijin, it just scans right that way to me.) Thanks for the tip on the NK knock-off, it just has to be awful. :grin:

1 Like

Oh don’t get me wrong, 3 is still a fantastic film, and it’s action sequences are some of the absolute best the genre has to offer, and Iris has an utterly outstanding design. I just really hate the edgy nerd and psychic lady villains in a not good way lol.

2 Likes

For some reason I gravitate toward monster films when I’m sick (maybe something to do with my weird childhood).

Recently watched The Giant Claw and War of the Gargantuas.

Man, what was Russ Tamblyn doing in that?

2 Likes

Big fan. Mechagodzilla is peak awesome IMHO.

3 Likes

I was pitching in the “Make an Episode” thread that any Kaiju/Zilla fans would be appreciated down the road in riffing some of the Heisei or Showa era Godzilla movies. I’m a life long fan of Zilla movies.

2 Likes

Me too! My sick movie list is almost entirely Godzilla films.

War of the Garganuas is great except for Russ, who was either bored or stoned. The actual Gargantuas are great and it’s got some wonderful classic effects.

But as far as non-Godzilla Toho Kaiju films go, Rodan is by far the best. Ironically I love the American version a lot more than the original Japanese.

2 Likes

I would too but it’s very unlikely Toho would give them the rights - they’re super protective of the brand.

1 Like

Yes! The Gamera movies are the best. What’s not to love about hating on Kenny, a flying turtle who is the friend of all children, and a guy apparently named “Cornjob”?

3 Likes

It’s not MST3K i’m talking about. There is a thread going on for a fan made episode and we would totally be allowed to use Toho material as we aren’t selling the end product, just riffing and parodying.

1 Like

Yes—THEM! is an enjoyable movie all on its own. If you like those, be sure to check out “Beginning of the End” with the giant grasshoppers.

1 Like

I really dig Night Of The Lepus, but I think a lot of that affection is the memory of being six, staying up past my bedtime and watching it on the CBS Late Movie with my pop. It is pretty goofy.

4 Likes

Hell yeah. If I had my druthers, I’d give an honorary Oscar to the dude who managed to deliver the line “There is a herd of killer rabbits coming this way” through a bullhorn without completely losing it. :rofl:

2 Likes

I love Godzilla vs Space Godzilla. It’s pretty much the first one I saw back in college and I’ve been in love ever since. I really hope they remaster the Heisei series one day because it’s my favorite. I’m also one of the lucky ones that got his Gamera ultimate collection with the comic and all that stuff, but never saw the mst3k episodes.
Q the winged serpent is pretty cool too!

4 Likes

One of the conceptually strangest giant monster movies has to be The Monolith Monsters. Though apart from the monster premise it plays out very much like a standard monster film of the era. Wouldn’t feel amiss as a Quatermass story, either.

4 Likes

Just watched Shin Godzilla for the first time, and I really like it. It’s a very Evangelion-esque “this is how an old movie trope would play out in real life” kind of film. I especially love that they used lots of the old music from various Godzilla films, most particularly the wonderful Monster Zero March.

4 Likes