The Gizmoplex's Look

So, I just gotta say: the way things are currently flowing with the point and click aspect… It feels so ‘classic’ web. I love it.

17 Likes

My honest thought is “it looks a bit silly but I like it”

However, I do like the look of the film library. I love that you have the ability to filter by host, season, genre, etc. Seems like a simple feature but it’s nice.

5 Likes

The aesthetics are on point. I’m all on board for the feel and flavor of this movie theater setting!

5 Likes

Is it me or does the carpet pattern in the Gizmoplex look like the one from the Overlook?

6 Likes

Love the carpet from The Shining in there, nice touch :axe:
Stanley Kubrick Lol GIF by Maudit

6 Likes

It’s making Joel’s vision for what he wants out of the gizmoplex clearer. It feels like it’s meant to be more than just a one stop shop for MST3K (though that’s what it is), but also sort of an immersive-ish experience. I’m still not sure how successful it will be but I absolutely appreciate what he’s trying to do and am along for the ride.

11 Likes

Especially the purple version in the backer atrium

2 Likes

At first I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it, but the further along they got on the “tour” the more convinced I became. It looks like a fun delivery system for MST3K that pretty well fits the overall feel of the show itself.

5 Likes

When Joel first described the Gizmoplex, this is kind of what I thought it might be, but it was hard to really envision. It’s so cool to finally see it become reality!

5 Likes

I personally loved it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It reminds me of playing point-n-click classics, particularly Starship Titanic. I love it! Can’t wait to see how the Gizmoplex develops more over the year.

5 Likes

I’m totally on board. And it has the potential to evolve and grow, which is exciting.

My question is: it will be a phone app, right?

3 Likes

I was very impressed! Look forward to hanging out there!

3 Likes

Back in my 90’s dotcom days I actually worked for a while developing a graphic point-and-click website similar to that. Dropped the idea when another music site beat us to it.

3 Likes

The gizmoplex tour reminded me of Microsoft Bob. Computer interfaces are the way they are for a reason, and a whimsical interface is okay, but it gets tired pretty quickly. For example, when you look up titles in the library, you can only see maybe 6 or 10 at a time. I’d prefer a normal old scrolling list. Maybe they can keep the VHX built interface around too for people who just want to watch the movie already.

5 Likes

The VHX experience is problematic, though — I have four or five purchased packages, and I don’t know which package contains which episode, and clicking through the VHX library opens new browser tabs. It’s kind of kludgy, in my opinion.

4 Likes

Give us a little time. We’re also working on more functional solutions that won’t make you sit through animations, or get irritating after the novelty wears off. Like we said, this is the beginning of the plan, not the end!

19 Likes

As a person who has worked at two separate movie theatres, I must point out one glaring omission- there was no popcorn on the floor! One of the most common things I did while working at a theatre was sweep up popcorn. Maybe once some people have been through it will start looking more manky.

6 Likes

This is very true. I’ve gotten several packages AND bought several individual episodes over the years. Sometimes it’s hard to know what I have. It would be great if all of those could merge into one scrollable list by season at some point with episodes you can watch checked and others behind a lock icon (I had to build a spreadsheet with the different sources, such as DVD, VHX and Rifftrax).

I’m glad to hear it’s still being worked on and look forward to what’s coming in the future!

1 Like

Hah, can you imagine if in the morning it was clean, but closer to the evening the floor had more and more popcorn scattered around, the occasional candy box, and maybe the occasional Synthia out there using a carpet sweeper? :grinning:

…I may have worked a few theaters in my halcyon days of youth as well.

5 Likes