The Gizmoplex's Look

I LOVE the virtual theater! I’m really looking forward to it becoming a reality. My only concern is that it seems optimized for browsers and web apps because of all the click-and-drag functions. Will all of those features work for the Smart TV apps?

Precisely. That was actually intentional because no one has been in the theater yet. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I remember going to see the Christopher Reeve ‘Superman’ and the floor was so sticky my friend said, ‘I can’t move!’

Serious squelching, for sure.

Unfortunately (as we mentioned in a backer update back in July), we don’t have the ability or budget (at least for now) to bring the virtual theater to dedicated phone and TV apps. The apps that we’re able to afford for now are essentially white-labeled from Vimeo OTT, and we get no real control over the UI, navigation, organization, etc:

That said, if you have Apple AirPlay or Google Chromecast available on your television, we’ve tested, and it looks like you WILL be able to cast the Gizmoplex Virtual Theater to your television from a computer for the full experience on a big screen.

In early tests, a lot of aspects of the Virtual Theater also appear to work in Chrome on mobile and tablet browsers – and a lot of Smart TVs support casting and mirroring from smartphones as well.

Believe me: we wish we could have custom apps for all platforms, but we’d have to have a LOT more demand – and income – before we’d even be able to break even on the cost of developing and maintaining super-customized apps. :frowning:

10 Likes

It’s okay. IMO, it would be a hassle for me to push from one arrow button to another on the remote while navigating anyway.

Have you by any chance tested in on the Xbox Edge Browser? I believe it is just a fork of the desktop browser so I would assume it would work. It has a virtual cursor too.

1 Like

Not yet – don’t have an XBOX at the moment – but if you’d like to join the beta test and let me know whether it works, I’d be happy to add you!

2 Likes

I have an xbox one and would be happy to test this for you should you need it.

1 Like

Absolutely happy to help

It sure it! I have a cloth mask with that same pattern.

3 Likes

I just noticed that Tim’s nametag is “Take a hike, Netflix”, and bless him forever for that.

7 Likes

I love the idea of the Gizmoplex being in different states of cleanliness depending on when you access it!

4 Likes

This one would be far-fetched. I’d hire Alex Ross to do portraits of MST3K cast members. It would be an art gallery of human hosts, the bots, the mads, and movie stars from certain movies. I’d love to see portraits of Professor Bobo alongside Beverly Garland as I tour the Gizmoplex.

2 Likes

sardis

You’re on to something there! That made me think of all the celebrity caricatures that they have on the walls of Sardi’s.

A wall full of art of MST3K characters and individuals who appeared in the various featured films? That could be neat!

5 Likes

Watch him throughout the aftershow. He changes it a few times.

1 Like