The Godzilla eps

As big-pocketed companies own Godzilla, the two episodes that MST3K did are nowhere to be found.
Anyone other than me own a copy? They did Godzilla vs. Megalon and Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (my personal favorite).

5 Likes

I’ve got burnt DVD’s of both. GvM is one of my favorite Season 2 episodes!

I gots the CheezyFlix DVD-from-tape editions of those. Same for other unavailable episodes, including the one listed on my profile as my favorite ep.

I have burned DVDs from the ol’ Digital Archive of yore.

There are ways…

2 Likes

The Godzilla vs. Megalon disc is the crown jewel of my MST3K collection. I bought it on eBay 4-5 years ago; someone was selling a mint condition original Rhino Volume 10. I felt like I’d won the lottery.

9 Likes

I have only seen godzilla vs sea monster but I think if they ever have the option godzilla vs the smog monster. I own every godzilla except vs biolante and the smog monster is the craziest. A must see if you love bad movies.

5 Likes

I got the Megalon DVD before it was recalled, and I have the Digital Archive of the other one.

3 Likes

I belong to an MST3K club where we, in a sense, follow the instruction to “keep circulating the tapes.” I’m hopeful the Gizmoplex will be as fun and interesting. (Being part of that fan community is precisely what told me about the Kickstarter campaign and helped motivate me to pledge.)

5 Likes

Some day would love to see these released properly. I can dream can’t I?

5 Likes

Burned DVDs, but yeah.

Godzilla Vs. the Sea Monster is pretty fun while Godzilla Vs. Megalon stands out as one of the best in the series.

3 Likes

Hell, a clip from Megalon was in the opening credits for a few years.

2 Likes

Godzilla vs Hedorah (aka Godzilla vs The Smog Monster) is trippy indeed. It seems like a Godzilla film made in the Italian New Wave tradition (like Danger: Diabolik). Very possibly some cinematic cross-fertilization was going on there. Would make an awesome MST3K episode, but I think everything Gojira-related is behind a thick cladding of IP protection.

7 Likes

There’s also All Monsters Attack, aka Godzilla’s Revenge (and definitely NOT to be confused with the Avengers-style crossover Destroy All Monsters). Easily the low point of the attempts to turn Godzilla into a family franchise, though it was actually one of Honda’s own favorites.

6 Likes

My youngest loves Final War. If you haven’t seen it it is basically a long montage of godzilla fighting all the main antagonists and a spectacularly redesigned gigan. I enjoy it but as it has been pointed out, the IP is not going to be available anytime soon.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of that movie as well. Lots of fun action and great monster cameos. Also this:

2 Likes

Same with me, though I personally consider it the crown jewel of my Godzilla collection.

3 Likes

Plus, with Final War they finally caught on to the fact that literally no one cares about the human characters in these movies, so whenever you’re not watching monsters fighting, you’re watching people fighting. And they’re pretty great action scenes in their own right.

3 Likes

I’m a long time Godzilla fan, and while cool fights are cool. I very much care about the human characters in these movies. Without a good human story, all you have is a glorified video game, just a lot of action without a soul, which bores me, personally. “Gojira”, “GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack”, “Godzilla 2000: Millennium” are all the better for having interesting characters and an interesting human story in the mix. I like a good balance of drama and action.

But yeah, to the original ? - I bought the the box set when it was released, so I have my Megalon, and a disc from a broadcast of Sea Monster.

BTW: Of the Japanese films, my 5-ish favorites are

1. Godzilla (1954)
  2. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)
  3. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
  4. Godzilla vs. Destroyah (1995)
  5. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) and Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Among those, I think MST could have fun with the Mecha movies. In Terror you have oddball scenes like the baddie whipping his minions while they are on their knees (and getting some joy of it). And there’s even a forbidden love story… (I chuckled over the line… “Even if you are a cyborg, I love you.” which is spoken with such earnestness)

4 Likes

Fun fact: Back when the Tristar Godzilla was coming out, there was a news segment (I think on CBS?) about it that actually featured Mike and the bots, including them riffing a clip from Godzilla vs the Smog Monster. Only found out about that recently myself.

2 Likes