The Homestretch of Season 13

I think the eps have been very good. Jonah and Emily and the rest of the cast are fantastic and I love them all. But the best thing about the season has been looking forward to the new eps and events, reading and interacting on the forums, and just the EVENT of it all. I remember Joel talking about that early in, wanting it to be like how he preps for a Packers game, and he was right on. It’s great. I’m so happy to have MST back and not just released on one day and done.

19 Likes

Not to mention that MSTies are spawning a sequel to an indie, totally non-Hollywood, film - I think Demon Squad 2 should go down as one of our greatest accomplishments!

13 Likes

I am really liking Season 13 so far. I wonder if part of why this season seems stronger than 11 or 12 is due to the episodes being spaced out.

With the Netflix seasons, we (likely) all binged the episodes right away. I know I did. That didn’t give them time to “breathe” like these do with one every 4-ish weeks.

I’m definitely looking forward to the rest though.

17 Likes

Oh, my, yes. This was the best part of Season 13: The fact that it’s just not a big dump and…yeah, watch it…maybe some other people will watch it, too…yadda yadda…whatever.

Joe Bob does the same thing on “The Last Drive-In”: The mutants get together on Friday nights for 10-13 weeks, double-features then there’s a break (though there might not be if JB had his way), and everyone clamors for the Jamboree or “How Rednecks Saved Hollywood” or a live appearance and waits for the holiday specials.

But it’s been a much more enjoyable experience than dropping the season into the Netflix void.

16 Likes

I am in total agreement here. Much of the success definitely has to do with the fact these episodes and shorts are released one at a time every couple of weeks. This definitely gives us ample time to analyze, discuss and re-watch them!

And I just love always having something MST3K to look forward to throughout the year!

17 Likes

I’ll take credit my payment going towards Door #4! :smiley:

9 Likes

You kids…

In my day we had to wait a week for episodes of almost everything.

13 Likes

I won’t lie, I tore through the Netflix episodes because reasons.

But what I didn’t like about the Netflix “all episodes drop now” system is that it not only prevented you from slowly savoring the episodes, it also put all the MSTies on different pages with regards to where everyone was in the series.

“Did you make it to Carnival Magic? No? How about Yongary? Did you get to Starcrash?

It’s harder to have more sustained conversations if everything and everyone is all over the map. That, and Netflix’s executive meddling pressure to make these episodes binge-watchable [makes an “I can’t even” gesture] cost us a host segment each episode for Season 12, and you KNOW I can’t abide that.

What Team MST3K has done with Season 13 has really helped to make the entire experience - viewing and discussing - that much more enjoyable. (And I say that as someone who loved the Netflix episodes.)

21 Likes

Also, the whole drop-12-episodes-all-at-once-then-hold-your-breath-for-six-to-eighteen-months-to-see-if-we-get-more strat? Sucks.

16 Likes

THAT’S how it’s done.

Shudder got it right there. They totally understood what they had on their hands.

5 Likes

Oh, man.

That wait after Season 12 was excruciating, especially since Netflix ended that wait by springing that “MST3K is canceled” horse hockey on Turkey Day, that most sacred of MSTie days.

But yeah, that waiting forever system is the dirt worst.

9 Likes

I think most of us did. Especially season 11 - first new MST episodes in nearly 20 years. Like a kid on xmas morning.

10 Likes

Oh, it was fantastic to have new material to enjoy!

Honestly, I would’ve preferred a weekly release system just for the series to get a proper build discussion-wise, for everyone to get all (reasonably) caught up, and for the episodes to really sink in.

But since they were there… [gestures as if to say “they were there”]

8 Likes

It’s been the best fit for JB so far (after about 40 years) so I’m pretty happy, but they don’t quite get that the mutant fam loves things like marathons. (The original one was, like, 36 hours and Shudder doesn’t like it when they do more than double-features.)

4 Likes

Plus knowing that Netflix Requires You To Binge If You Want Any Hope Of A Chance For Renewal! :rage:

7 Likes

Yeah, bingeing a show would very quickly make me hate that show. Too much too fast.

5 Likes

I only managed the first four of The Gauntlet in one go.

6 Likes

I once watched two episodes of Game of Thrones season 1 back to back. That’s the bingiest I ever got.

3 Likes

I thought it was funny when certain folks would complain about the Gauntlet, as if they HAD to watch all 6 episodes in a row. You know, you’re not a test subject, you can space them out.

Heck, I don’t think I’ve ever even watched more than 1- or 2-episodes during Turkey Day, if that. I’ll catch the bumpers or an ep later on…

But I enjoy it this way so, so much more. Every two weeks I have something to look forward to, and something to gab about.

9 Likes

I’ve been enjoying this season tremendously. The writing has been top notch, I’m loving all the riffing teams, and the delivery of the season has made the whole experience… Into an experience. I didn’t binge the 11th season - I actually waited quite a while to even start, trying to get a chunk of time to watch a full episode in one sitting. Little kids who don’t sleep are no joke. I watched them one at a time, over time, but very much alone. This time I’ve gotten to watch them with this community and that has really enhanced the whole thing.

14 Likes