The Human Body in Entertainment

And what can we say about Cronenberg using Marilyn Chambers as the vehicle for his body dysmorphing disease in Rabid? Nothing printable here!

3 Likes

Cronenberg without Videodrome being referenced?

3 Likes

Wasn’t my first GIF Videodrome? With the joysticks?

2 Likes

I don’t remember that shot, but maybe?

2 Likes

Switching gears, the Twilight Zone had its own take on the human body. I feel like the ladies are getting the short end of the stick kaff with Rex here (from “Number 12 Looks Just Like You”):

Though they fare better with “The Trade-Ins”:

2 Likes

A man used as a transistor radio to the future. The continued operation of which saps him of his lifeforce.

1 Like

Can’t mention the human body and The Twilight Zone without Eye of the Beholder.

4 Likes

Yes, that one did occur to me. Also Mickey Rooney! Sometimes too much of a good thing is…well, it hurts the horsey’s back.

3 Likes

No excursion into The Twilight Zone is complete without this.

2 Likes

I can’t find a picture of it, but seeing Susan Oliver hunch herself into a grotesque figure in Star Trek’s The Cage/The Menagerie had an effect on me as a child.

2 Likes

Oh, and this scared the crap out of me-

5 Likes

This what you’re after?

2 Likes

Yes, but a fuller body shot, because it was the weird body shape that really got me.

1 Like

Best I can find I’m afraid.

1 Like

On the subject of bodies and Science Fiction.

2 Likes

And who forgets this?

1 Like

Or this?

1 Like

And Star Trek isn’t Star Trek without Shatner.

1 Like

Back to the positive(-ish) side. Who can forget Perfect (1984)?

Well, you probably already have, and this is the least embarrassing still I can find:

The '60s had more style:

Back in the '50s, Jane Russell had trouble attracting attention. (Honey, I just think you’re shopping at the wrong market!)

Jane was a Hays Code violation just by existing, back in the '40s:

And who could forget the reason for the Hays Code?

3 Likes

Horror movies are filled with various fears regarding the human body. Zombie fims, especially. One of my favorites with the most variety: Return of the Living Dead

Then of course there’s things like Re-Animator, because who here can resist the Jan in the Pan reference?

3 Likes