The I Love Cartoons Thread!

IIRC, in the Animaniacs episode “Potty Emergency” there is a MST3K written over the tower window.

7 Likes

9 Likes

That’s right! And the Freakazoid episode, “The Cloud” is a parody of The Crawling Eye.

5 Likes

I completely forgot about that! I might have to watch some Freakazoid this weekend.

5 Likes

Freakazoid!'s first season was great. The second season was not so great, mostly due to executive meddling. But Toby Danger is one of the best parodies period. Not of animation, just one of the best parodies.

What The Funny #10: Toby Danger | Twin Images

5 Likes

Always a good move! Last I checked, they’re all on Tubi.

4 Likes

There was a prime time, marketed as a ‘family’ animated show on the WB around the same time as Freakazoid! called Invasion America. It had Leonard Nimoy in it. Does anyone remember that?

2 Likes

I have absolutely no memory of that whatsoever, which is a bit weird. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes
4 Likes

I can still sing the theme song!

7 Likes

I bought the Cartoon Planet Band - Modern Music for Swinging Superheros!

9 Likes

As for “the classics,” I loved this one!

8 Likes

As a kid, I really loved Thundarr the Barbarian. The idea of a post-apocalyptic show for kids wouldn’t be done again until Adventure Time, and they made it a lot less overt in Adventure Time.

8 Likes

Ah, I really miss science-fantasy. Give me an oiled up barbarian fighting robots any day.

4 Likes

I loved Thundar !
One also that I liked, that I haven’t seen mentioned is The Real Ghostbusters.

I really liked Inspector Gadget

Robotech, in its three “generations” were my favorites. Then Voltron.

Thundcats was really cool. Heathcliff & the Cadillac Cats was actually kind of cool.

Speedbuggy, with its villains, “Chika-puh, chika-puh”.

G-force would get me going too, I loved all the different vehicles, and of course, Firebird Phoenix.

I’m sure I’ll think of others, if you guys don’t first !

5 Likes

The Real Ghostbusters was really good for an 80s cartoon, but J. Michael Straczynski was one of the head writers. There are still some lackluster episodes more typical of the time, making it a bit of mix if you watch it now, but for the most part it holds up really well. It feels a bit closer to the more mature cartoons that would come a decade later.

I also like the Filmation Ghostbusters, but it’s a completely different beast. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I loooove cartoons. Y’know I’ve met a few people who say they never liked cartoons much, even as kids? Which boggles my mind cuz there’s always been such a huge variety, especially from the 90s on. How can you just say you don’t like cartoons across the board? Anyway.

We watched pretty much everything as kids, cuz we didn’t have cable so we would watch lots of VHS collections or TV recordings. I know we had at least a couple tapes of Looney Tunes and other just random WB, Universal and MGM animated shorts. This one for some reason always stuck in my mind:

My dad liked random old cartoons so he’d record them or buy DVDs full of “classic cartoons,” so we ended up with Popeye, Betty Boop, Mutt and Jeff, Felix the Cat, Woody Woodpecker, Mighty Mouse, Tom and Jerry, etc. Even a couple episodes of the Superman cartoon. And a bunch of others that didn’t have particular characters/ memorable IPs. A little bit of everything, most of it stuff from the 30s, 40s and 50s. I felt like it was a bit of a crap shoot with those old shows; some of them were very clever and funny even if they had no talking, others were repetitive and annoying.

Our public library had a lot of the collections of Disney shorts on VHS, and then later my mom bought DVDs that were a collection of cartoons featuring each primary Mickey Mouse character. Mickey and Minnie were boring, Pluto was hit and miss, Goofy was a hoot. But Donald Duck and Chip n Dale were the funniest by far. For serial shows, the 80s Duck Tales is still one of my favorite cartoons ever.

Possibly the hands down single best modern cartoon though is Avatar: The Last Airbender. No I will not be accepting comments or criticism at this time

6 Likes

Love it. That would be a match made in Heaven.

10 Likes

I don’t take sides. But I did go out of my way to collect the Disney Treasures DVD line because I find their output cute, fun, funny, and just lovely to look at, while there are little things I find more relaxing than taking an afternoon and watching a bunch of Donald Duck and Goofy shorts. Looney Tunes and Tex Avery I’ve been more “watch when it’s on” than anything because I don’t find them particularly interesting, but fairly enjoyable. That being said, I was reasonably pissed when HBO Max deleted a chunk of the Looney Tunes line-up. That was inexcusable.

On the subject of Mickey, Mickey was created primarily as a song and dance character that would showcase synchronized sound. Ultimately his lack of personality was a thing that Disney himself discovered as time went on. Audiences in the 20’s loved Mickey, but they started losing interest the minute he started talking and was constantly getting upstaged by his supporting cast, namely Donald Duck and Goofy. That’s why Donald Duck’s output superceded anything Mickey put out by the 40s, because he had established himself as the most popular character. Goofy likely would have too, but Pinto Colvig had a falling out with Disney and they had lost their voice actor for a character, which is why Goofy had that string of “How To…” slapstick cartoons where he doesn’t speak.

But I have an affection for short subjects from all corners from that era, from Disney to Looney Tunes to the Three Stooges to Laurel and Hardy and so on. Its a corner of filmmaking I’ve always loved and admired.

6 Likes

Oh so that’s why those exist? Very interesting. Those are actually my favorite Goofy shorts; he’s the perfect kind of character to pull those off since the narrator is being serious and he’s so…well, goofy. Lol

Speaking of Looney Tunes, who else liked The Looney Tunes Show circa 2012? I thought that it was really funny and good writing, even though especially for Bugs it was quite a departure from earlier characterizations.

4 Likes