The James Webb Space Telescope and other cool astronomy stuff!

¡Ay! It seems like the June 26 date (for return of the Boeing Starliner) has now slipped to sometime in July. (The Starliner is still approved for emergencies that require a return-to-Earth, though.) Reason: “allow mission teams time to review propulsion system data”.
:slightly_frowning_face:
At this point the stay will be a minimum of 13 days longer than the planned stay of “about a week” (June 18-ish based on the delayed launch).

4 Likes
3 Likes

That was the premise of the first episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

4 Likes

Let them take all the time they need. This stuff is all in the service module which is discarded before reentry, so they don’t have the luxury of tearing it down later to examine in detail. I think this mission can loiter at the station for up to 45 days.

3 Likes

Mark your calendars: Chang’e-6 is expected to return its samples to Earth on Tuesday.

Upon return to Earth, the reentry capsule is expected to touch down at Siziwang Banner, Inner Mongolia during an half-an-hour long window opening at 1:41 a.m. Eastern (0541 UTC) June 25. The information is according to airspace closure notices. CNSA has not openly published timings of mission events in advance.

1 Like

That’s almost morbidly fascinating — proving warp drive is possible by observing someone else’s fail at speed.

2 Likes

And the Chang’e-6 “Returner” has landed.

6 Likes

I miss Winamp…

3 Likes

It really whips the llama’s ass.

5 Likes

Every visualizer plugin Firefox has that works with YouTube music sucks.

1 Like

he was short, pear-shaped, and stood the whole way

5 Likes

https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/2024/115/01HYGF7W80S91STZNBG7HDKT1Q?news=true

3 Likes

A star just zipped past the Milky Way’s central black hole at 2.7% of the speed of light

4 Likes

VRRRRRRROOOOoooommmm

4 Likes

TL;DR — NASA still intends to bring Williams and Wilmore home aboard the Starliner, but it’s going to be a few more weeks while Boeing continues to run thruster testing on the ground trying to replicate the data seen from the spacecraft.

3 Likes

Hey, where our Residents fans at? @Chris_Combs ?

4 Likes

Regarding Starliner once again: Just to further complicate matters, SpaceX had its first Falcon 9 launch anomaly in years (over 300 launches!) last night. The second stage engine apparently had a RUD :boom: on restart for the perigee raising maneuver, leaving its Starlink satellites payload in a lower than desired orbit. Looking at the replay, there was a notable amount of something freezing out above the nozzle. There will need to be an investigation, so it could potentially be months before the next Crew Dragon flight.

3 Likes

You just can’t seem to kill off tachyons!

4 Likes

This is interesting information, made frustrating by being poorly written up. Why did they repeat the entire first paragraph inside the third paragraph? So I was distracted the whole time trying to decide if this was written by a bot or just a bad writer.

Still, I like the idea of the future influencing the present, because based on the little I’ve read and the even less I know, I’m really starting to suspect that time isn’t real.

4 Likes

You may be suffering from tachyosis. Relevant audio: Tachyosis | Mahout | Adam Rabin

2 Likes