The Land That Time Forgot & At the Earth's Core

After watching The Land That Time Forgot, I was reflecting on the plot itself. It was a good plot; the movie just suffered from awkward directing, screenwriting and visual effects. The plot itself was great. I decided to read the book it was based on, and so far, it’s a great book. I have MST3K to thank for introducing me to some great steampunk, exporation-era adventure books!

13 Likes

I think that I was eight or nine when The Land That Time Forgot came out. I remember seeing the poster and it looked totally awesome. When I finally saw the movie, I was a very disappointed tyke. It took forever to get to Caprona and, when they finally got there, the dinosaurs were disappointing.

I seem to recall the book being pretty good.

3 Likes

Edgar Rice Burroughs became a best-selling novelist because he knew how to tell a story, period.

For the movie, well, they had a talented prose writer in Michael Moorcock, but there’s a reason why this is like his only screenwriting credit.

6 Likes

I’m a huge Edgar Rice Burroughs fan. Just pure letting his imagination flow with absolutely no concern about anything else, least of all real world science. I actually find his most famous creation Tarzan to be the least interesting thing he wrote, because a guy raised in the jungle who can communicate with animals is down to earth by his standards.

3 Likes

The Land That Time Forgot is in the public domain too; and is available as a free ebook!

5 Likes

Burroughs was brilliant, because he was deconstructing the two-fisted hero archetype before that was even a thing.

4 Likes

He also predicted the Nazis two decades early in the John Carter series. It’s honestly uncanny.

4 Likes

If anyone is into table top RPGs, the Tales Of Arcana RPG makes liberal use of much of Burroughs’ work being in the public domain.

2 Likes

I was sorry the John Carter movie didn’t do well, because the Burroughs Mars stories are nutso.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for sending this resource. There are a lot of great ebooks available there.
I noticed it has THE KALEVALA by ELIAS LÖNNROT, which explains, of all things, the Sampo!

3 Likes

And people had been trying to make that movie off and on for nearly a century. Biggest anti-climax in movie history.

5 Likes

It sounds like, in general, his books don’t translate well as movies. I can’t not picture Doug McClure while reading The Land That Time Forgot.

1 Like

I enjoyed John Carter, although I know I’m in the minority.

2 Likes

If anything, it’s a victim of being too faithful to the source material. The kind of sci-fi goofiness that Burroughs specialized in just can’t get any kind of sizable audience anymore.

2 Likes

That and so much sci-fi was ripped off from Burroughs that the movie felt like it was ripping off movies like Star Wars when it was just telling the story.

1 Like

Love these two experiments greatly!

Just stumbled across McClure being an irresponsible music promoter in a great episode of CHiPs (search out the slam-dancing demo) who gets his comeuppance :

seems like a jam that Frank & Trace could have done in Moon 13

2 Likes

At the Earth’s Core is a film I really should enjoy. Psychic pterasaurs! Peter Cushing! The delectable Caroline Munro (aside, I was so glad to see her in Starcrash as the action hero lead instead of just standing around looking sultry; shame they dubbed her)!

Somehow it just falls a little flat. I think Peter Cushing lacking the standard Cushing “I make Chistopher Lee’s Dracula cower” vibe doesn’t help. The pacing’s not exactly great, either.

2 Likes

The Disney animated Tarzan was good.

2 Likes

I read the topic name and thought it said, “The Land That Time Forgot & Ate the Earth’s Core.” I spent the next five minutes trying to picture what kind of film could be made with that premise.

1 Like

I’m thinking this is the same Michael Moorcock that wrote the song “Black Blade” for Blue Oyster Cult. A well written, well conceived song from the early eighties.

2 Likes