The Legend of the Stardust Brothers

I’ve finally found the perfect double bill feature for House. It was a film that was discussed in the most recent How Did This Get Made? podcast and it is a weird, brilliant musical inspired by Rocky Horror Picture Show and Phantom of the Paradise.

The Legend of the Stardust Brothers!

It’s only a $2 rental on Youtube. Worth it!

4 Likes

I imported this movie from the UK a few years ago on the Third Window Films label. It’s region free and comes with both a soundtrack CD and a DVD copy.

I was absolutely flabbergasted that no one had ever released it stateside, and that — much like HDTGM points out — no one knew all that much about it outside Japan.

What really intrigued me, apart from the fact that I can’t get enough of movies like these, is the crew. The director’s the son of Osamu Tezuka? Technical assistance by the creator of Lupin The Third, Monkey Punch? It sounded too good to be true.

I really hope HDTGM does enough to promote this movie to a wider audience. Third Window’s efforts in localizing this movie have been great, but I can’t help but think the pandemic had something to do with the movie not yet attaining cult status in North America.

I give a lot of credit to Paul, June, Jason and their crew for putting this on their show. It is very much the same vibe as both Phantom of the Paradise and Voyage of the Rock Aliens. In other words, I am all for it.

2 Likes

Ziggy and Alvin?

1 Like