The Little Things...

I think we should have a consolidated thread for all of those “little” things that bug you that don’t deserve their own thread. Here’s one:

Setting a Title minimum just makes people “pad” them with unnecessary words and/or letters. Not a good idea! At least set it (if you can) to a minimum of like… 5 or something.

Also… this:

But that might be a spam prevention thingy, and I just happen to come across it because I’m so… “ambitious”… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Trying to link Facebook:

3 Likes

Found another one… apparently these forums do not like one word responses:

But as we all well know, sometimes comedy works best when it’s succinct!

Which is funnier as a response to “I like playing around with things”?

“Kinky!” (not accepted by the forum), or

“Kinky you are!” (accepted by the forum)

Just as with subject titles, arbitrary minimums on post size just cause “filler” to be added.

In my opinion, posts that don’t contribute… can be reported!

5 Likes

Strange little thing: Under Preferences > Emails, “Send me an email when someone messages me” keeps resetting to “Always” after I set it to “Never,” and Activity Summary keeps resetting to “Weekly” after I set it to “Monthly.”

I haven’t thoroughly troubleshot this, but it feels like it’s related to other activity, like it may be resetting each time I post or reply.

2 Likes

I believe this is covered in either the basic or advanced tutorial and has to do with time spent reading a topic….I’ll see if I can dig it up.

2 Likes

I personally am ok with limiting too short posts…I feel like it’s hard to “report” someone just for saying “ok” alone or leaving a single emoji too often.

2 Likes

It feels like a bug. I know the Tracking/Watching status can change dynamically based on viewing activity, but repeatedly overriding a global Preferences setting seems like something that shouldn’t happen.

But it’s also possible that I’m just fumbling around in the dark and missing something obvious.

3 Likes

I was actually wondering about your reply to my post. I agree that “Kinky!” would have been funnier, and I would have understood it quicker. :wink:

3 Likes

Pardon the obvious question, but are you hitting the “save changes” button after changing settings? On both my laptop and my phone you have to scroll down to find the button.

<edit> - I’m encountering the same problem. Changes to my email preferences are not saved. </edit>

2 Likes

Any chance we can get the replies to be on distinct pages (that is, say, 25 comments when you click a thread, and then “next page” takes you to posts 26-50)?
I know infinite scroll had been kind of the cool internet thing the past few years, but it makes it really hard to keep track of where you are reading in a long-running conversation, or to navigate to a specific section.

6 Likes

An option to choose scrolling style would be nice. It could default to paged chunks, with an option to scroll infinitely.

4 Likes

I’d like to see the addition of header images for forum pages (or at least more unique formatting for header titles).

1 Like

This is a very little thing that I’ve just noticed today while spending more time active here, rather than just scrolling and reading on my phone…

I’m probably missing a preference or setting, because I’m sure that there are users who like the current behavior, but I’ve noticed that if I click reply, then, change my mind, decide not to reply at that time, then leave the thread, the text entry/reply area stays active, even if I click to return to the main forum homepage? It’d be nice if I could set a preference for the site not to do that? For me, the post/reply belongs to the page I’m leaving, so shouldn’t stay active?

Like I said, a very little thing, that I’m sure at least a few here like about the current behavior, so perhaps just adding a preference setting to choose would be nice?

1 Like

The reply stays active, which lets you move through the site and look at other posts while typing. I used it earlier to find a post I wanted to reference in my reply. Honestly, it’s not that useful, but it does have the advantage of keeping your message going if you accidentally navigate away from the page you’re on. Again, not a huge use case.

If you cancel your reply, you have the option to discard it or save it for later editing. So there is that option for you.

2 Likes

That’s more likely a setting on the server side of the forum. The Doctor Who forum I moderate has a similar feature/problem and it’s taken some tweaking to figure out how to make that go away.

1 Like

Does Discourse support showing a count of how many users are in the forum at the moment? Something in the header perhaps, like “392 users browsing the forum right now”?

4 Likes

With the huge influx of new members, duplicate threads are starting to occur – favorite host segment/musical number, best episode to show new people, etc. Could we add a gentle reminder to the welcome process to check for existing threads before creating a new one? Perhaps a message from @discobot to this effect?

8 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

2 Likes

+1

I know several of us have been trying (as gently as possible) to redirect those to the previously existing threads, but I don’t recall any of my attempts actually having an effect.

3 Likes

Is there a setting or plugin for Disco that could recognize the similar thread title and ask the user if they’d rather add their post to the existing thread? Maybe even open the existing thread in a 2nd tab for them to check out?

2 Likes

There already is one—it pops up to the right of the box when you create a new topic.

6 Likes